1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Wi-Fi audio streaming device?

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Dan Driscoll, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

What I'm really looking for is the 2016/17 equivalent of the Squeezebox or Transporter. Some receivers have this or similar capabilities built-in, but I'm looking for a standalone device that connects my entertainment system to my home network the same way a Squeezebox does. Bluetooth sucks for audio transmission, so it should be wi-fi and securely connect to my home network. 5GHz would be preferable, but 2.4GHz is acceptable. Wired would be good as well, since my router sits on the same rack as the AVR.

2. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

I am looking at something as well. To me the only options are Roku and Apple TV. But then again those are not audio-specific. Maybe when you narrow the scope of capability there is actually a better product.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

4. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member War Zone Member

A Squeezebox?

5. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Sonore. Check what they offer.

6. Dan Driscoll

Logitech stopped making them and the Transporter. The last Squeezebox was the touch and they ceased production in 2013, IIRC.

Used and NOS unit sell for ridiculous prices on eBay and audio sites. I still don't understand why Logitech stopped making them. There was no way they weren't making a profit.

7. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Active Member Donor

An Amazon Echo Dot may do the trick but you may be limited to the services it offers such as Spotify and Amazon Music. Just connect the audio input to a pair of powered speakers, or to an Input on your AVR.

I purchased a Gramafon Audio Streaming Device as an offer from Spotify a few years ago. It is a wireless (802.11n 2.4) and ethernet capable device. It has Spotify Connect Built in as well as All Play. Similar to the Echo Dot, simply connect the audio input to a pair of Powered speakers or to an Input on your AVR.

Not sure if you have an Android or IOS Device but for Android the "All Play Jukebox" app will allow you to play your local library as well as Spotify, TuneIn Radio, DLNA Servers and other apps.

Amazon.com: Gramofon - WiFi Music Player for your Speakers (Featuring Spotify): Amazon Launchpad

8. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor

What music server are you planning to use Dan? Maybe a $35 Google Chromecast Audio Device would fit your needs? It's got all the bells & whistles from a lossless, 2.4/5K perspective. It all depends on how you want to stream to it.

9. murrayb

murrayb Active Member War Zone Member

Take a look at the Auralic Aries (or the mini version).

10. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Also a contender would be Salk Streamplayer. Salk Sound

11. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor

Here's a little $40 adapter on Amazon that has a lot of ways to connect to wifi/NAS including Airplay. I'm still trying to figure out how serious the text is on the sales page.

Riversong Music Reciever

I'm also trying to figure out how to bring some music into my new Living/Dining/Kitchen area and this device may come into play for me.

12. Dan Driscoll

I don't subscribe to any online music or other streaming services. I'm only streaming ripped FLAC flies from my PC and that is done thru the SB3, running LMS. I'll probably transition to an NAS this year to make file management easier and off-load it from my PC.

I think I'll just keep my eyes open for a used Squeezebox or Transporter that is realistically priced. Or since the Yamaha AVR I just bought has networking I may not need anything else now.

13. Rick

Rick Member

I'm currently using the Amazon Echo Dot for this. My wife is a pet sitter and we used to select the Dish Network Sirius/XM music channels that run through the surround receiver to keep the dogs occupied if we're away (plus, we just leave it on during the day), but we're finding the Echo Dot used with the Amazon Alexa app works better. Pretty good audio for a little hockey puck-sized device, or you can use the 3.5mm jack on the back to hook it to some L-R composite jacks on your receiver. The Dot links with Tunein, iHeart Radio, Amazon Music and Pandora accounts that you might already have set up. We just ask it to play a station or just play Christian music and it keeps playing it until we tell it to stop. Plus, you can link it with your Google calendar, ask it the weather, order a pizza...

14. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

One could also get a small fanless PC and get JRiver for playback e.g. Amazon.com: Azulle Quantum Byte Fanless Mini Desktop PC (Windows 10, Intel Atom Z3735F, 2GB RAM+32GB storage): Computers & Accessories or Amazon.com: 2 Lan 4 COM ,Black high quality aluminum alloy,Palm Size ,Intel Celeron j1800 Mini PC 4G ram 64G SSD 300M WIFI USB 3.0 Windows OS Fanless Desktop Thin client: Computers & Accessories

If one doesn't want a monitor then some of the other products noted (e.g. Sonore, Salk, Auralic) or others (e.g. Aurender, Lumin) may do the trick. Depends on budget. An Oppo Sonica DAC is also another one - OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer

15. Dan Driscoll

Unfortunately, the Yamaha AVR doesn't recognize the FLAC format, so that didn't work.

As several suggested, I picked up an Amazon Dot to play with not long ago and tried plugging it into my Yamaha. From a functional standpoint it works OK and the voice control is pretty good. Unfortunately, the sound quality, while not painful, is so far below my Squeezbox even my tin-ear wife can tell the difference.

I'll be watching eBay, Audiogon and the other used audio sites for another Squeezebox or maybe a transporter. If anyone here has one they want to send to a loving new home, please let me know. :)

16. Dan Driscoll

As luck would have it, I just found a reasonably priced used SB3 from a seller with a slew of excellent ratings on eBay and bought it now. :D

CJ likes this.
  17. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

LMS on my Synology server works great. I also recently picked up a Transporter from eBay to replace my original which died. I love LMS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

I love LMS too and was a loyal user since the beginning. But then I tried Roon and the increase in sound quality (with the same hardware) was not insignificant. So much so that I paid for a lifetime user license. YMMV but I was shocked at the improvement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk