1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

What's the technical limitation?

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by capsuleri, Apr 4, 2017.

1. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

What's the technical difficulty of providing internet service over the digital TV sub channels? This can open up more ISP competition relatively.

2. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Active Member Donor

I believe this may be part of the deal with ATSC 3.0 . FCC Regulations, cost, bandwidth, and limited technology regarding ATSC 2.0 may be the limiting factors which should be address with the rollout of 3.0.

3. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

If you could down-link on a DTV sub channel, what would be the up-link method?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. capsuleri

Good point!! Completely missed the point when I was posting.

5. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

Also, I think TV is a broadcast network, where everyone gets the same data fed to them. That wouldn't work so well for internet traffic.

6. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

A much more viable alternative is WiMAX using the television analog broadcast spectrum that is still largely unused now.

7. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I heard google is killing off future google fiber plans due to cost and heavily researching high speed, broad coverage wireless. That would be a boon for internet service competition if they can do something there.

8. capsuleri

There was another company who was doing a trial run in Boston have not seen anything on that yet. It is the same company who was going to offer a wireless cable TV service that required a tiny antenna but got shut down by the CBS, NBC, ABC for copyright reasons. Cannot recall their name.

9. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Active Member Donor

Sounds like Aereo.

10. capsuleri

Yep that's it.

Founder Chet Kanojia started Starry. He hopes to bring broadband internet using millimeter wavelength technology. Trial run going on in Boston. Let's hope he succeeds. Starry Internet: A radical new Internet service. ACV needs another disruptor competitor.