1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

What were once vices...

Discussion in 'Music Lounge' started by DYohn, Sep 16, 2017.

1. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Have you ever gone back and listened to music from your past that you really used to like, or dislike, and wonder why? On my random music server spin this afternoon, three tracks came up that made me think, "Wow, I really used to like that, and now I find it simplistic and boring." They were:

Metallica: Wherever I May Roam
    Grand Funk Railroad: Closer To Home
    Electric Light Orchestra: Roll Over Beethoven

And conversely, a couple others came up that in the past I would have skipped over, but listening to them I thought they were really good. They were:

ABBA: SOS
    Sister Sledge : He's The Greatest Dancer
    Anne Murray : You Won't See Me

2. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Totally. And with you on Wherever I May Roam. I find the whole Black album almost dull now, and I wore that thing out when it was released.

DYohn likes this.
  3. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

What were once vices ... are now habits. Or so said the Doobie Brothers album cover back in the day. I find that most tunes I used to like STILL sound good. And some things that I MAY have only heard a time or two can jump out and grab me. Mood has a lot to do with it. By the way, I heard "Closer to Home" recently and really enjoyed it. In the past, not so much.
    :p

jasn and DYohn like this.
  4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

There might be a connection there...

5. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I find myself falling in and out and (sometimes) back in love with a lot of artists I've invested time and money in to. Having experienced this over the years I know that time, place, mood and (my) maturity pushes this phenomenon all over the place.

With a few exceptions, 80's music has taken a way-backseat for me since I've become much more sedentary and (unfortunately) singular in my listening habits. That shit rocks at a party or a club but sitting down and trying to "embrace the virtuosity" of the material in a media room exposes some of the genre's shortcomings (which, of course, were once it's highlights). For example, I've been an enormous XTC fan since the beginning, but a few years ago I almost felt like I could walk away from their entire catalog. Those thoughts have, fortunately, subsided and I'm playing them once again. Now the Talking Heads...? I'm still having trouble getting a rise out of their songs for a very long time. I think David Byrne's "Head" got a little too big for me and it's turned me off to how I hear them. I played their first few albums to death though, so that's had an impact too.

Grand Funk Railroad...? Closer to Home is such a perfect rock song I've always wondered how Farner ever came up with it, but if I never hear it again I'd not be too upset. I'm more of a "Nothing is the Same" and "Inside Looking' Out" guy anyway... ;)

DYohn likes this.
  6. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

re: Talking Heads. My advice is listen to Tom Tom Club. :)

jasn likes this.
  7. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I haven't in years David. Thx for the reminder.

8. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

Tina Weymouth lives about 10 miles from me. Never was a heads fan and David Byrne is just weird. If I never hear southern rock, Kiss, Brit pop synth rock, the Rolling Stones and hair metal again, I would be completely fine even though a friend of mine is the tour manager for Marshall Tucker.

9. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I really don't have any on my list. I still like all the stuff I bought when I was buying albums on vinyl, I still like the CD's too. Still listening to classic rock on the radio every night.

10. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

I listen to lots of old stuff i.e. classic rock and beach music, but in the last few years, I have branched out to lots of new stuff like Euro club music i.e. trance, house and chill. Liking country music too which may be my roots.

jasn likes this.
  11. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

I find my listening palate has expanded. There are some artists and songs I used to listen to when I was younger that I no longer enjoy, but not many. There is far more that I didn't appreciate back then, but do now. I find I am also more open to other styles and artists than I was when I was younger.

12. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Does your Chewing Gum loose it's flavor on the bedpost over nite...or over the years or decades

DYohn likes this.