1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

West World - HBO - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'TV Land' started by Drew, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

I really enjoyed the reveal of William and the man in black being the same guy. I was questioning things when hosts were getting damaged and we were seeing old tech but I didn't connect the dots that William was in the past from this. I found it an interesting technique having us see the same person in two different periods of their life, thinking they are two different people and then having it hit you how much they changed between those two points in an instant with the reveal. Usually we see that as a slow build showing all the difference and what lead to them. Rare to get hit with it all at once like that.

My take on some of your minor issues is they were having people treat it like a video game. How many people have kids murdered in video games.

2. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

Another great show with a nice self-contained storyline. A slower build-up than "Stranger Things", but well worth it in the end. Anthony Hopkins is the tits, again, and the rest of the cast is mostly great as well.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

This is my favorite new show. I might like this better than Game of Thrones. Even though I had some nits to pick I'm watching season 1 again with my wife this time.

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Overall story and acting is excellent. This is my new top favorite show. So cannot wait for GoT to be over and done with so they will get started on season 2.

Dennis Pagoulatos and CJ like this.
  5. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I like GoT but I actually like WW better. Oops. Already said that. Long day.

Dennis Pagoulatos likes this.
  6. Dennis Pagoulatos

Here's something that annoyed me: Why do those two low-level tech goons have "god-mode" administrative rights to make changes to the hosts? You would think that kind of clearance would be way above their butcher's pay grade! The only way to make narrative sense of that is that Hopkins character was pulling the strings the entire time and allowing everything to happen, while also giving the illusion of "free will" to Maeve.
    How else do you explain the tech pointing out to her near the end that her actions are appearing on his iPad thingy prior to her doing them. (mind blown!)
    After thinking about it some more, I believe that out of all of the hosts, only Dolores achieved true sentience and truly CHOSE to pull the trigger in the end; everyone else was programmed to behave the way they did to act out Ford's desired outcome to the story.

7. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Whether it explains your point of Felix and Sly specifically, yes. Yes he was.

8. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I disagree on a couple points. 1) They weren't given "god mode". I think they established that. Felix is "hacking" the behavior system that he shouldn't even have access to. They cover this with the bird backstory. Sylvester is shocked and angry that he is playing around where he shouldn't and Maeve comments "your friend is more talented than you think" or something similar. 2) I thought they also clearly established that Felix couldn't do everything and only after he "upgraded" Maeve as much as he could did she then start changing her own code. Felix tells her that their "brains" are much more capable than ours but we control them. Once he slips the shackles off she can do much more on her own than he ever could. That's my read. I don't think it was deus ex Hopkins at all.

Love this type of discussion!

9. Dennis Pagoulatos

I guess I had forgotten about the bird in the early episodes.
    I think we are supposed to question whether Maeve was really using free will, or just following pre-programmed instructions. That reveal blew my mind almost more than any of the other big ones because it makes you question everything she did; makes me want to rewatch it again lol! So, I'm not sure it's completely clear in the end whether it is Ford in control of Maeve or not, and that makes the whole thing more interesting. :)

10. KLH007

KLH007 New Member

I'd like to believe Dolores achieved sentience, but after Maeve seemed to be acting on preprogrammed instructions I can't be sure. Hopkins also led her into "knowing" what she had to do.

11. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

The thing is did Maeve break the instructions when she got off the train. Someone (I forget who now, Bernard?) shows her on the tablet that she hasn't done anything yet that wasn't programmed. Then she snaps the tablet in half. Then they bust out and she's on the train but at the last minute she gets off.

Its pretty deep IMO. Are we not just analog computers, programmed to do things? Habit, conditioned response, dopamine releases.... What is free will?

12. KLH007

KLH007 New Member

I forgot about breaking the tablet, and I wonder what she's up to after not escaping and getting off the train and back into WW?

13. Dennis Pagoulatos

I think that the "free will" choice for Maeve would have been leaving the park, but it's not really clear and that makes it more interesting to me. :)

14. KLH007

KLH007 New Member

Dennis, You're right about Maeve's choice to leave would have been "free will", but maybe she has free will and wants to do something at WW that's not programmed?

15. Dennis Pagoulatos

It's not clear yet- but maybe it will be made clear in subsequent seasons.
    I don't know about you guys, but I hope season 2 takes place insidethe Samurai world implied in the finale! :)

16. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I think its been confirmed that it won't. That was just a tease to all the lines this season about there being something bigger than the park. I don't think it means 2 parks. There's going to be some mind fuck like everyone's a robot and Arnold is still alive and watching it all from on high "up a level".