1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

WEIRD Craigslist Situation

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Jack Keck, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Member

I'm not sure where this should really go, but I had to pick a place, so here it is.

I listed my Polk REi 38s and CSi 30 on what I thought was the local, i. e., SE Michigan Craigslist. I just got a text from a Los Angeles, CA area code offering to send me a check and have someone pick up the speakers AFTER the check clears. Now this came at 11:30 PM or so EST, or a few minutes ago. I know that's 8:30 PM in L.A.. I did not anticipate this. I was expecting local interest. It seems like this party is willing to invest much more than my asking price for these speakers. I can't understand how this party would trust me. I'm also sure that there a million ways this could blow up in my face.

Thank you in advance for your insights.

2. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Has SCAM written all over it. From other reports the check bounces even after it supposedly clears and the item is gone and you are stuck to cover it. Something about going through multiple banks or some such thing.

3. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Member

It had not occurred to me that a check could bounce after it "cleared" but I have no doubt that you are correct.

Thanks much.

4. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

Be wary (and don't be immediately available after you get the check - send a thank you note and when and if it appears that they want a quick pick-up give them an excuse for a couple of days) - I have not checked recently but many years back most states any check that bounced over $250 was considered a felony. So I'd make sure that the check doesn't bounce and if it is over whatever threshold, I'd turn the guy over to authorities. I know because I sold something to a friend of a friend and gave him a break and it was a bad check. So I looked up the statutes and talked to law enforcement and sent him a certified letter giving him 30 days. Before that he couldn't be bothered to return a call.

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

I'd say you don't take cheques. In this day and age say you'll do an email money transfer, certified cheque or cash and are willing to use an escrow service if requested. If he's serious you'll see money through one of those options. If he's a scammer you won't hear from him again.

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Yep... don't do that arrangement. I mean no offense, but those are not super rare or valuable speakers. There is no reason for someone to be jumping through hoops like that. Tell him to send a money order.

7. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

It's a common scam. Dude sends you a check with legitimate routing and account numbers that pass the initial electronic check, but around a 10-15 days later the check is rescinded because on further review the #'s were linked to offshore/suspicious/identity theft accounts.

8. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

If the guy is legit, have his surrogate bring cash when he comes to pickup the speakers. Years ago I did exactly this when I had my BIL collect some NHT speakers in Tennessee that I wanted for my daughter in Maine. The seller had listed on the AVS forum and I called to work out the particulars.

As the others have said, be very skeptical of this offer to purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barry_NJ likes this.
  9. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I had a similar experience a few weeks back trying to sell my Carver HT speakers. I guy from (nearby) Boston proposed the same transaction...He'll send a check and have someone pick them up. I was fine with the deal until he told me to drop the ad while I wait for the check. I refused to do that and he promised the check was in the mail. Next day I got another call from a legitimate buyer, so went back to the first guy asking for status and explaining my new offer. After some back and forth I became weary of the complications so bagged on Buyer #1 and sold that evening in cash/pickup to #2. Nice guy that was very excited about the speakers.

I didn't think this was a scam, just a doofus buyer. Glad I had another option.

Phil Rose likes this.
  10. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

And if you go this route, make the exchange at a local police station.

11. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

12. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Member

Thanks to all of you. I have chosen to ignore the request as well as the two other out of state inquiries I have received. In fact, I am not responding to these. As to CJ's point that the speakers I'm selling are not exactly collectible, that was part of why I was suspicious. It's not like I'm trying to unload my Heresys or something like that. You could walk into a Best Buy anywhere and walk out with something roughly equivalent. Randy's point about conducting a transaction at the police station, one of our local police forces encourages this practice and has surveillance cameras in their parking lot. Finally, if the buyer ain't bringing cash, there's no deal.

You are the best.

13. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

Run like hell. You cash the check at your local bank and they give you the money or deposit it in your account. The check, however, has not gone through the ACH clearing house for approval. If it is a bad check, it is returned to the bank and many taken back from your account. I bet the check would be from a local credit union or regional bank further delaying the process.

14. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

Never accept a regular check insist on a cashiers check from a well known bank.

I has a similar situation in early 2000 I was the buyer and I wanted it UPS COD. The gentleman was weary because he had read about bad experience buying COD. He was in IL and I was in MD. We verified each other as real people by calling at work main number. Exchanging home addresses. I told him I was giving the UPS guy a Cashiers check and even gave him the name of the bank and the branch so he could call and verify. He was happy when he cashed the check and I am still happy with the Lexicon power amp. The gentleman even called me a few weeks later inquiring how I was enjoying the amp.

15. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I wouldn't accept anything other than cash. It's craigslist which is local. Cashiers checks can be fraud too.

Jack Keck likes this.
  16. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

I do some buying and selling on audio forums. Most people do PayPal. It makes for a secure transaction. Otherwise I only accept USPS money order or Cashier's check on a major bank.