1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Vintage Grundig rebuild

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Mike, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant

Turntable removed and the hole has been boarded up with a shelf that will hold the cable box and the blu-ray player. An IR repeater will be added to control those devices. The amp compartment will need to be opened to turn the amp on. No remote.

I have applied a coat of finish to the piece now. 2 more to go. Then I will re-gold the leg tips.

I am having a black plex faceplate made to surround the amp. It should look fairly stock when finished because the original amp had a black glass face.

Mike

Attached Files:

2. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

Why wouldn't one run the woofer from a single channel and not the method shown? Since bass isn't much more than mono, the difference between L and R will be small as would be the woofer output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

You want a genuine mono signal. It's not a subwoofer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

My point was that the low frequency content on +R will equal +L 90% of the time and the drop across the woofer voice coil will be zero. But heck, what do I know? Maybe it will work just fine. That configuration is what Dynaco did back in the day for ambient recovery albeit with a full range signal. I would think a dual voice coil driver would be better but those are probably more likely in a subwoofer driver.

Edit: Or run the woofer from a single channel - and set the mono switch on the receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  5. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant

Im trying not to buy any speakers. If it sounds bad, then I can replace the speakers. But remember, this is to function at the level of a soundbar. It is not hi-fi.
    Here is the receiver fitted. Wiring it up (sans parts) this weekend in anticipation of the parts arriving next week. 20170609_162537.jpg

6. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

what is the space down below for?

Looks interesting. Good Luck.

7. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

So, do those two white grills rotate or are they fixed?

8. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant

The grills are fixed. The black space down below is sloped like a sound scoop. The woofer fires down into that space and the tweeters fire out into the grills.

9. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant

I got to a place this morning after I had soldered all the wires in place that I could not resist any longer. I just hooked up the two speakers to the main outputs and the woofer to the left side of the remote output.

I turned the volume all the way down and then used the tuning meter to tune in a station. I raised the volume slowly and....there was music.
    I pressed the mono button, and of course the loudness button and it still sounded pretty good for what I want to use it for.

So....when I get the proper parts in place (Monday) it should be ready to go. :) Hopefully getting the unwanted frequencies out of the various speakers will just make it sound better. Next, I need to remove the soundbar I use now from the wall and lower the television about 8 inches
    . That is a full mornings worth of work. And I still need to put the other components into the Grundig and wire them all together.

10. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

That's good to hear
    That's good to hear

11. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant

I had a brain fart. I noticed my Blu-ray player didn't have an analog audio output so I went out in search of one that does. Of course the only option was a 700 dollar Oppo. Not gonna happen for this use.
    Then, it struck me...all I needed was a cheap DAC. Off to Best Buy and 35 dollars later I can use my current blu-ray player with the vintage amp.
    Sometimes you forget that you know stuff. :)
    I also picked up an 1/8 jack to RCA patch cord so I can play music off my phone or an MP3 player as well.
    After all is said and done, this could be sold for 6 or 700 bucks with the gear in it and I would still make a tidy profit. Too bad i'm keeping it. :)

12. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant

13. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

Looks great!

Mike likes this.
  14. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

But but but... where's the subwoofer!!?? Where's the 11.2??? ;)

Mike likes this.
  15. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant

The crossover parts arrive tomorrow but it already sounds better than that soundbar I was using.

Just the thing for watching a litttle bit of mindless television. And its small footprint makes the room look larger too.

DYohn likes this.
  16. Rick C

Rick C Member

George Jetson your living room is ready! Looks great!

Mike likes this.
  17. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Fan-fucking-tastic Mike! I love it.

Mike likes this.
  18. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant

Crossover parts installed, with a few surprises.
    First to the end game...it sounds better than I could have ever imagined. Removing the low end from those two speakers really made a world of difference. Fantastic.

But, after adding the coil and doing the + to both sides of the woofer I had no bass. So I just went back to driving the woofer off one side of the remote speaker output, with the coil in-line. That did it up great! And removing the high end from the woofer really tightened the bass up too.

I could actually listen to this as a music source. There is no imaging or PRAT or any of that other stuff, but when I am just cleaning the kitchen or loungin on the sofa and want som music, this thing sounds really nice.

Very happy.

Barry_NJ and DYohn like this.
  19. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Cool, I'm happy it sounds good!