1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Uverse today!

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Mike B, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Finally called and got signed up, guy is supposed to be out here today to install.

Have AT&T land line, DSL, cell service and Direct TV. No movies on DTV. Costing me $220/mo and DSL is dog slow.

Getting Uverse with movies, VOIP land line, cell service and internet at 24 MB/sec for $175/mo for 2 years and the regular price is $245 which sounds about right. So even when the price goes up it would still be in the "ballpark" as the other stuff would go up too.

Hehe, no more utube video freezes - :)

They've been pestering me big time ever since I got the cell phone and I'm gonna make the switch!

2. Mike B

This was the best "cable guy" experience I ever had. They were supposed to show between 1 and 3. He arrived precisely at 1 and left 10 minutes after 3. Land line works, 2 TV's work and the internet is 20 down and 5 up over wifi. Cool.

DSL was 1 down and .25 up, slower than slime. The HD looks great and the box even had RGB, so the projector should work great. Gonna watch me a movie tonight.

Woo-hoo!

3. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

I used to have UVerseI don't know what your home wiring situation is, but if you were able to run everything over CAT5 or better (no coax) then you should be better off in the long run. Fewer potential issues when they convert and extend the network over coax. I networked pretty much my whole home and that made things much easier and more stable for sure.

I guess technically I still have the voice and data portion but I moved to DirecTV for the TV piece.

4. Mike B

The guy explained how it works, they use the phone lines to bring in the signal just like DSL. It's fiber to the box down the road (only a quarter mile from me) and then it's existing copper phone lines. He ran a new CAT5 from the phone line box (new too) to the modem. The modem is wired to one receiver (existing cable) and any others are wireless. The modem also does all the land line phones. It's pretty cool, and all bundled up quite reasonable in cost.

The big issue is how close you are to the street box with the fiber and the closer the better for speed.

I've been with Direct TV for 20 years now and since they just got bought by AT&T, I don't think I'll have cancellation issues.

Oh and now I have my first DVR's too. Yup, as always I remain far away from the bleeding edge - :)

5. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

Yeah, I'm like only 700 feet away which was a huge plus. There were lots early adoption pains when I first got UVerse. The service is much better than it was when I first got it.

6. Shane

Shane Active Member

Uverse is an interesting product but more of a bandaid design to limit how much fiber they need to deploy. Verizon is Fiber all the way and requires a certain population density to be viable but as a product it's vastly superior in design as the Internet, TV and other items stay on their own separate feed whereas with Uverse when you are downloading stuff from the web, it's directly impacting your video quality. It may not be that noticeable to some but it's a noted issue for the design because of the shared pipe.

7. Mike B

I don't think I'm going to have that problem. I'm either watching TV or I'm surfing. I never watch and surf at the same time.

The plan I have is capped at 24 MB/sec, but I'm close enough that 48 is available. Don't think I'll ever need that.

But 1 is too slow. You can't even get through a utube w/o pausing with 1.

I was happy with Direct TV before they had the 3 satellites which required the big dish which needed to be aimed better. They put it up and it worked fine for a year or so and then many dropouts. Houses settle and the dish needed to be re-aimed which they did and it worked fine. Now I'm having the same problem again and rather than constantly calling to get the thing re-aimed I just went with the "bundle"

So good so far. Time will tell.

8. Mike B

I just called and cancelled Direct TV. They did not like that at all.

We do this and we can do that and we can send someone over to aim your dish and hook you back up...

But you are owned by AT&T, yeah but we are 2 separate companies. Amazing.

They are sending a box for me to return the receiver and I guess I'll just toss the dish in the trash. I can put an FM antenna on the post though and send signal to the Cambridge which will be good.

9. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

I had UVerse for many years. They dedicate bandwidth for video between the in-home router and their endpoint in the street so what you do on your internet portion really has no impact to video quality. The issue is that they compress the video signal so they can squeeze more into the anticipated modest size pipe. So on averge you will find poorer video quality when comparing UVerse to DirecTV or some cable services that don't have quite the same bandwidth concerns. This is most noticeable when you have faster moving content on screen. You'll find tiling or micro blocking in those areas of the screen. It is not horrible but it is there. This is part of why I eventually dropped UVerse. Just pulled the plug at the beginning of the year.

10. Mike B

The day it got installed I watched 2 movies, Back to the Future and BttF 2, both in hidef and it looked good.

Next up cancel Comcast. I've been paying them $20/mo for nothing for 4 years now ever since they made you use a converter box for simple basic cable. We used to use it for the bedroom TV's only and Direct TV only fed the big system. The AT&T guy disconnected their feed at the house when he put in the Uverse as one receiver needs to cabled to the modem and he used existing house coax to do it.

So between DTV and Comcast I was paying $120/mo for basic cable and "extended basic" DTV. Hi-Def but no movie channels. Amazing. For 2 years Uverse gives me high speed internet, unlimited land line calls anywhere in USA and Canada, hi def and movie channels for $175/mo. Pretty cool.

11. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Mebbe you can get a deal from Comcast in 2 years... ;)

12. Mike B

Yesterday I hooked up my new printer-scanner-copier and couldn't find the disc. Got online to the brother site and down loaded 165 MB in minutes.

That would have been a 3 hour ordeal with DSL even if it didn't "hicup" as it did frequently and need to be started again. Mikey likes Uverse!

The DTV person told me I've been with them since 1996 and that sounds about right. Back then cable "increased" their bandwidth by not including stereo with their programming which you needed to make Dolby Pro Logic work. That's when I got into the DTV thing as what good are movies w/o surround sound?

Yeah, Comcast, one of the most hated Co's in America. I think they will charge me fifty bucks to disconnect, that's fine good riddance - :)

13. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

From my past experience, when your promo pricing ends you just call and ask for their retention dept. Ask for what the current promos are. They typically limit them to 3-6 months and can knock your bill back down a fair amount. The issue is that you have to keep doing that each time your promo runs out. But you can definitely do this and manage the cost of the service this way.

14. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member War Zone Member

I think Blight Hose only has a retention pond.

15. Mike B

I know that a lot of you guys just use the cell phones and don't even have a land line. That's fine whatever works.

But I really like my land line and much prefer talking over a real phone than a cell phone. Even with my fancy bluetooth headphone/mic widget it wasn't as good as the regular phone. And they're all over the house - kitchen, living room, bedroom and my office. Mikey likes it!

16. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

I still have my land line as well. It happens to be one of the remaining bits of my UVerse service. I no longer rely on the regular home wiring for the phones though. All cordless and the base is directly connected to the phone jack on the UVerse router.

But my cell phone's service can also be accessed/answered from any of the cordless phones in the house and they also give me voice alerts for text messages with callerID which is convenient when the cell phone is elsewhere in the house.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  17. Mike B

That is cool. Since I have AT&T cell service too I'll look into that.

I'm not really concerned about the price increase in 2 years, DTV has been increasing their prices ever since I signed up. I just want the stuff to work. DSL didn't work. Well it didn't work "good enough" it never went down but it was just too slow. DTV works fine until the house shifts and you need the dish aimed again.

In the 30 years I've lived here you know how many times the phones didn't work? Zero. The DTV lady made me smile when she suggested that I would be upset when the phone wires in the ground failed. I have had cable TV outages, DTV outages due to thunder storms and dish alignment and also some weird software glitch in a receiver. I have had power outages too. But the phone has always worked.

18. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Active Member War Zone Member

While Verizon FIOS may be a superior product, they stopped expanding into new markets several years ago because it was too cost prohibitive. I had Uverse for several years and loved it. Two TV's, a projector, and multiple wireless devices and never had a single problem with video quality. I'm now stuck with Comcast but at least I have my TiVo units instead of Comcast's awful hardware.

19. Mike B

The comcast bill came today and I called and cancelled them too. It was easy. I told the guy I hadn't watched it in 4 years and he just turned it off and I don't have to pay the bill.

That was easier than I thought it would be.

OK. This is how I came out, the before and the after;

Before
    DTV - $100/mo, extended basic and HD. No movies
    Phone and DSL - $80/mo, long distance extra, 1 down and .25 up
    Cable - $20/mo - basic cable, no HD
    So for $200/mo I had sucks internet, don't talk too long outside your area code and no movies.

After
    Uverse - 175/mo, full HD, HBO, Starz, Showtime the works. 30 down and 5 up. Talk USA and Canada unlimited.

So, even after 2 years when the price will be ~$250/mo it will still be worth it. Mikey is a very happy guy - :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2015
  20. Mike B

Comcast called today and they want their box back. DTV told me to recycle theirs, they just wanted the access card.

Tomorrow they will get their box back in the original unopened box their box was in. Unused & pristine, ready to ship to another customer - :)

Box returned. Comcast left me 1 good message about how I could return the box. Then they left another about the "quick and easy" way to return the box. Just now I got another message re how my visit to the store went, it will just take 2 minutes. And then another message about how to return the box.

That's 4 messages in 2 days, only one of which was needed. No wonder they have the distinction of the shittiest customer service in America. The pester the crap out of you for nothing.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2015
    capsuleri likes this.