1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Top Gear: Looks like it's over.

Discussion in 'TV Land' started by Zak, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member

2. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Saw episode 2 last night, felt it kind of dragged, and the celebrity guest mortality thing was played out after the first episode...

3. Andrew Pratt

Ep2 was filmed before the first show and it shows. TG / GT is at its worst when they try to force the comedy through scripted silly skits that don't allow the natural banter to flow. The American isn't a bad concept but there's a reason the Stig was silent. Apparently all those scenes are in the can so we're stuck with him until Season 2 but my hope is they gag him and just let him drive.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2016
  4. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

I thought GT ep2 sucked. Badly.

5. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

They had a discussion as to who has the best Air Force? Seriously? That's a joke. Not if they had a discussion about the best land platform air defenses, that's another discussion. Our opponents have all but given up on matching us in the air (trillion$ of reasons why they can't), but their best integrated ground-air missile systems give our best new aircraft fits.

Now I have to watch ep 1.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Active Member War Zone Member

I watched the first 4 episodes last Friday night. The car stuff is cool. The rest is just...dumb.

7. KLH007

KLH007 New Member

It seems to have jumped the shark.

8. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Grand Tour got much better as the season went on. By the end it felt like old Top Gear. The New Top Gear promises to REALLY suck. Bad Clarkson-Hammond-May is better than the best I can imagine from frigging Matt LeBlanc!

9. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

I really enjoyed the progression of the season, can't wait for more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Barry_NJ

While I do think they're getting back into their groove, I still think "Celebrity Brain Crash" fails horribly, and "The Southerner"... meh.

I think they should pit celebs against their driver in the episode's hot car, then you get celebs driving, but different enough from the "Reasonably Priced Car" bit to avoid copy right issues, and you also get 2 perspectives on the hot car's performance.

11. chad

I agree. I usually skip through the driving test with The American. Celeb brain crash was funny only on the first episode

12. Andrew Pratt

It does get better. Epp 2 was awful but the others are entertaining.

The new Top Gear started last weekend and its got a lot of potential. It likely will never be the same...but that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable for what it is. Frankly I like many of the changes to the format that they've made and the 3 new hosts genuinely appear to get along well. Certainly more so than last years mess with Chris Evans.

13. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

I am looking forward to the second season of GT. I will not watch any of the current TG.

14. Andrew Pratt

Why? Its really quite good.

15. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

I hate Matt Leblanc. Overrated no talent boob. Did I mention that I hate him?

16. Andrew Pratt

Ah...He's far less annoying than in anything else I've seen him in but I understand.

17. chad

Found season 23 on Netflix so giving it a try. Almost surprised they didn't change the song OR offer the guests a seat.

18. ellisr63

ellisr63 New Member

I also am not watching the new Top Gear UK... I am only watching the Grand Tour from now on.

DYohn likes this.
  19. chad

I couldn't do it. I missed the chemistry too much and for me it just didn't work. I got to the second blow out of "Joey's" car and turned it off. He'll always be Joey to me.

GT4L

DYohn likes this.
  20. Barry_NJ

Finished watching the first season of the new episodes last night, and I enjoyed it. No, it wasn't Clarkson, Hammond, and Mays, but in general I really enjoyed the presentations. In some ways more than The Grand Tour. I should probably see what's been going on there as I haven't seen that in a few.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk