1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

The trials and tribulations of a coffee addict

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by CJ, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Rick C

Rick C Member

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Your post reminded me to order up another bag o beans - :)

I looked back and the Micro 1 has been here 16 months now. I ordered up another pack of filters too. Every month it prompts you to clean it and every other month a new filter. But the filters prevent calcium build up and the cleaning is automatic. Coffee still tastes great and the unit works as if new.

3. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

I've been getting Peet's Big Bang to keep at work. Pretty good stuff.

I got a little manual bean grinder for Father's Day but haven't experimented enough to get it dialed in just right because it was given to me with a bag of ground coffee lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Rick C

Rick C Member

While I wait for the batch roasting pieces and parts we have tried some cold brew. Very nice.

How to Make Cold-Brewed Coffee

Coarse grind
    About 18 hours

We have had it both cold and hot. Interestingly the heated "cold brew coffee" has lots of flavor but very smooth.

5. The first rule of being a coffee addict is to let it completely consume you. Embrace it, for it is good.

I used to live a couple blocks from Graffeo's San Rafael roasterie. I loved that they only had regular and decaf. No special blends or flavorings, just regular and decaf, roasted daily. No fancy coffee shop, just beans. I still order a few pounds every year around Christmas as a little gift to myself. They roast them, pack them and overnight them, so I'm getting them the day after they're roasted. Still the best I've had, no matter how I brew it. I've never had anyone disagree when they try it.

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Drinking cold brewed coffee hot is almost like a different drink. Brings out very nutty and chocolatey flavors. Really good and very smooth. Its great for people with stomach problems. MUCH less acidic than hot brewed coffee.

7. Mike B

I'm gonna make some, it's hot out here and that sounds great. Get out the old hand cranker and the french press - :)

8. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

I do that over nite often. Guests love it.
    During the summer I add Tia Maria
    after it's brewed and Godiva Choc Liqueur.
    Chilled Vodka if we want more kick. Goes
    great with Tiramisu. Decaf. Beans if gonna be used
    at nite with the dessert. Frangelico, or B&B,

Mike B..it's got your name all over it:rolleyes:

9. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

I don't like cold brew for some reason. Maybe I like my coffee acidy and bitter. :)

10. Carl V

Of course you do...its 12 years of salty Navy training, whereby your thumb and fingers were
    permanently deformed in to a Curl or Crook, holding a cup of Java:cool:

DYohn likes this.
  11. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

12. Mike B

That'll keep me up all night just thinkin' 'bout it...

Brutal.

Imma go get some groster beans for the cold soak, running low on the good stuff new bag won't be here till next week.

13. Mike B

I made a batch and it came out pretty good. And plenty strong. I used the linked recipe, 3/4 cup coarse ground and a quart of water. Woo-hoo, lots of flavor. Next time it will be a half cup. Steeped about 12 hours (overnite) and I pressed it the next day and poured the press into a mason jar. Put ice in a glass, a shot of half & half and filled it with the brew. Really good!

Rick C likes this.
  14. Carl V

:cool:
    Cold Irish Coffee
    Coffee Kioky

15. Rick C

Rick C Member

IMG_3238.JPG Well this is going to be a challenge.

I finally got my coffee roasting basket. Realized the standard Rotisserie motor rotates too slowly so I had to improvise with some steel bar stock from Home Depot. Did some online reading so set things up for about 60 rpm and 570 degrees. Preheated then loaded about a pound of green beans expecting about a 15 minute roast.

I have been roasting for several years with a small electric roaster. The heat up and approach to near first crack moved at about the same pace I was familiar with. From there forward to first crack through second crack moved so quickly I missed it. The beans continued to heat even with the gas off and grill open. I was ill prepared to handle the cool down.

I ended up with a pound of expresso beans.

I think I will deploy the leaf blower as my cool down mechanism next time and cut the heat as I approach first crack.

16. Carl V

interesting
    Not too convenient, but interesting.
    Lucky for me I have a couple of ROASTERs
    near by for fresh beans

17. Rick C

Rick C Member

Understand it is not too convenient. I have time and like to play. It is a hobby. I roast once a week.

18. Rick C

Rick C Member

A few updates. Added a bearing on the left side to smooth the rotation. Leaf blower deployed for quick cooling. Started with a cold grill and basket and brought the bean temp up slower. Went to first crack and reduced the gas flow checking the bean temps with an infrared thermometer. Stopped everything about 40 seconds into second crack.

Also added a second fin to the basket to agitate the beans more. Very even roast. Did a cold brew and the results were really good.