The trials and tribulations of a coffee addict

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by CJ, Feb 18, 2014.

1. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Coffee Bean Direct is great. I like dark roasts, and I've tried about 8 or 10 different beans from around the world. They all have slightly different flavors and it fun to experiment. The espresso beans are great also.

2. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I retired by basic Krups grinder and now use my Cuisinart Burr Mill Grinder for everything use. I still use my Keurig for daily use and the French Press and Stovetop Espresso Maker on the weekends.

The older Krups grinder was not grinding the beans evenly and when the coffee grinds were used with the Keurig, it showed, as it would struggle to pump water through the k-cup, and into my mug. With the Burr Mill grinder, the grinds are even, and when used with the Keurig, it's as if I placed an authentic K-Cup into the machine. The flow of hot coffee is even, dark to brown, and quick.

The French press and Espresso maker are more involved obviously, and I can get a rich flavor to my liking. I enjoy the process of making Cuban Coffee, but it's not something I could handle everyday. I've already seen my BP and heart rate jump up within 2 hours as a result. With the French Press, the timing is important and once in a while I'll set a simple alarm, or i'll just wing it. Either way, I get a strong cup of coffee.

I used to use heavy cream with my coffee, but now I use Coconut Milk, which has also resulted in cutting down the amount of sugar I was using. I can't drink any coffee straight black.

3. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I've had a few cups so far. Still finding the right water to coffee ratio but it is quite good. No bells and whistles, which is refreshing at this point.

I'll certainly have it around for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. chad

I found 4 minutes is perfect for the French press. I set the stove timer.

I need a burr Grinder.

Coconut milk. Interesting. I cook with it a lot,
    Never thought of using it in my coffee.

5. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

That's what I like about it. It's just coffee. No "exotic unusual", just good rich coffee. Something I can depend on and look forward to everyday.

Get up, shower, dress, turn on computer, turn on coffee maker, make cup, log on computer and surf. Repeat 2 or 3 times, then do other shit - :)

6. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I use Vita Coconut Milk with Vanilla. My preference is to add a few drops to create a "Hot Chocolate" dark brown color. It has a unique flavor and may be an acquired taste.

4 Minutes is my time for steeping with a French Press as well.

7. chad

This sorta impressed me. A lot.

25ec23ce9e1b84db2e8c237f8727d0eb.jpg

8. John Celardo

WOW! I've bought a lot from CBD, but I never got a thank you note. :(

9. chad

Yeah I was really surprised.

I'm digging what I got and will order again for sure.

I got my wife some of their teas to try too. She's a Teavana snob and she said CBDs teas are on par or better.

10. chad

Just ordered another pound.

How much does everybody else order at at time? I don't want to order too much and have it go bad but I also don't want to keep having to order.

11. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Two and a half pounds. Lasts me a little over a month. Yeah I know the last couple of weeks are "past prime", but OK with me.

12. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

ARGH. My Baratza grinder has smoked. Motor is seized. I tried taking it apart to make sure it wasn't just jammed, but no, I can smell the magical scent of fried insulation inside. Drat. So I went down to the local retail outlet and picked up a Capresso Infinity burr grinder so I can make an afternoon cup of joe. We shall see how long this machine lasts.

13. Rick C

Rick C Member

Last week I received a 25# bag of green Ethiopia Shegitu beans. I have had good luck with Java bean plus. (Link below) They sell green and roasted coffee. I just finished roasting the last of the Colombia beans I had purchased so the timing is perfect.
    Green coffee stays fresh a long time.

Wholesale Coffee Beans - Wholesale Gourmet Coffee

14. chad

Yeah I think I'll Do 2.5 next time.

15. chad

One of the doctors I work with and his brothers chipped in and got their dad a roaster for Christmas. Said his dad has been buying green beans and roasting them giving them to local
    Churches and whoever wants them.

16. John Celardo

I buy two 2.5 lb. bags at a time from CBD. If you spend more than $50 they skip the shipping, and we usually go through 5 lbs. in a little over a month. Since they say they roast just before shipping (maybe, maybe not), there's not much chance of bean fade. I order different beans each time, and have found that there are subtle taste differences. I'm not quite as fussy as some of you, but it's fun experimenting. My Breville grind and brew suits me and my sweety just fine.

17. chad

My wife doesn't drink coffee, one of the kids does on occasion but I usually keep "other" stuff for her. She didn't dig the CBD stuff.

And I don't make coffee at home on work days (3.5 a week), I just hit Dunkin which is across the parking lot. I keep some grounds at a Melitta at work for my late morning cup but that's usually just whatever is on sale that week. This week it's McDonalds which I kind of enjoy.

18. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

19. chad

Nice!

Would be nice to get lei'ed whenever too.

20. John Celardo

Wow, that's what a moderate size house on 50' X 100' lot in Fanwood costs! Sell a few pounds of Kona and you've got the mortgage payment.

DYohn likes this.