1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

The trials and tribulations of a coffee addict

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by CJ, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Active Member Donor

That's a good point you bring up Mike. I poured some of the coffee into a cup of sugar to mix. I then placed the pot back on the stove and allowed for the coffee to fill up the top compartment. Although I let the top fill up with coffee, I wondered if I was burning any of the grounds during this period of time because I was more focused on mixing the sugar and coffee, which took a couple of minutes for me. Should I just remove it from the burner and allow for the coffee to continue to fill up the top, or lower the heat?

2. Rick C

Rick C Member

Jay I did not see if you are using a gas or electric burner under the Bialetti. I watch to see and once the brewed coffee starts to rise I turn the heat down on our gas burner. As Mike mentioned you don't want to burn it. Also with too much pressure the water can "cut" a route through the grounds and you may not get full benefit of the flavor in the grounds. I shoot for slow and steady. YMMV

Electric burners don't change temp as quickly as gas so some anticipation might be needed.

3. Jay Brown

I'm using electric, and I should have mentioned that because I do not have the control compared to a gas stove. This was my first time making this type of coffee and I used Medium-High for heat. The coffee flowed to the top in a smooth manner, and it did not burst or fly everywhere.

4. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

I used electric stove on high until I heard little noise then turned down to med-high. Lid open and watch spout until coffee starts coming. Then lift off burner and hold until it stops.

Takes a little practice and you have to just stand there and watch it, but it's worth it. You really don't want to steam the grind.

5. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Since my name ends in a vowel, I grew up with espresso pots. Somewhere in this thread there's a pot my family used long ago that you flipped over. More than a little dangerous. The water dripped through the grounds instead of pumping it through like the Bialetti pressure type pot does.

Like Mike, I've been ordering beans from Coffee Bean Direct. They roast just before shipping and they have a huge variety.

6. Jay Brown

My goal now is to purge all of the "dark" roasts out of the household and stick with more medium roasts and find the specifics of the bean origin. I paid for it well into the night a few hours ago, but rather than using than using Cafe Bustelo coffee beans, I tried an Ethiopia Sidami Ardi roast from Equator Coffees with the Espresso Maker. Still a strong flavor but a tangy one as well. Kept me wide awake.

7. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I'm getting a bit of an itch again unfortunately. The perfect method probably doesn't exist for me because what I want is very little hassle and a pretty quick method for weekday mornings and the ability to make a larger (thermal) carafe on the weekends that can last from 7-noon. I want to be able to use my own whole beans. Keurig is out. The coffee tastes bad IMO and using your own grounds both defeats the purpose of the ease of use and the pods don't hold enough coffee by large factor and it can't make a larger volume on weekends. My current machine is so-so for what it cost and isn't really designed to make large coffees.

I think I might get an insulated presspot and break out my grinder again. The concern there is, do you want your grounds in contact with your coffee for hours after the extraction is theoretically finished?

8. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

((((The concern there is, do you want your grounds in contact with your coffee for hours after the extraction is theoretically finished?))))

No. imho. I thought that new machine of yours solved this problem?
    i know You and Mike B bought killer machines

9. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

I'm still real happy with my Breville grind and brew.

10. Mike B

Yeah CJ, I'm still loving my Micro 1. I know you bought a superautomatic too. What's up?

11. CJ

Coffee has always been more or less bitter. If you go back and read my one post after I purchased, I said the coffee was good but my post was much more about the machine. I think I'm going to re-examine how I'm using it before I give up on it. I have it programmed to do two shots around 4.5 - 5 oz. I'm going to try making smaller shots and adding hot water instead... I might just be over extracting by trying to run all 10 oz of water through the coffee.

12. Mike B

Try setting the grind a little coarser.

13. Carl V

Good Luck CJ
    a few friends swear by the Americano mix.
    Strong not over extracted & add some Hot Pure H2O

Grind is a multifacted target, Method & Duration of
    extraction all play into the final outcome

14. CJ

Well today's cup was a huge step in the right direction. I did a true Americano by adding hot water to espresso. Much smoother and richer. I'll keep playing with this technique as a basis.

15. Carl V

that sounds about right....now your next issue will be volume for your weekends.
    Most guys I know do a strong press, and add hot water & even a doppio or two
    while everything is boiling, steeping etc., pour into a pre heated Thermal carafe (yeti etc.,)

I like coffee....but not in the volume you guys drink. and I've cut back a great deal.
    I recall David saying that his hand & fingers were in a constant contraction while in
    the Navy

16. Jay Brown

Three day weekend begins with purchasing smaller cups.

20170217_192919.jpg

17. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

Ok so a few months ago the K machine was left too close to the stove and melted part of the resivore. I picked up a Melitta and not long after a V60, Grinder (just a cheapie to try) and most recently a French press.

I'd like to try a Chemex next but I'm enjoying the V60. I like the Fench Press, just wish it was cleaner.

Been using Starbucks beans (usually just house blend) but wanting to explore more. Baby steps.

Please advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Carl V

we all have different tastes & preferences
    But cafe Verona at Starbucks is good.
    Otherwise search out a local Coffee place
    that roasts & grinds regularly during the week.
    Find your style...
    Don't make it too complicated or expensive.
    French press isn't too messy or cumbersome imho

19. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

Well the French press isn't too messy, I just wish the coffee was more filtered I guess. I guess

So after literally seconds of research I ordered a pound City Roast Columbian Supremo from Coffee Bean Direct. I figure it'll be a good entry level out side of grocery store varieties. I'd also like to try some Arabian coffees at some point specifically with cardamom in the mix. It's not something I want a pound of though.

20. Mike B

Let me know after you try it. I like it so well I stopped searching. Just good rich coffee, nothing exotic.