"The Room"

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Denton, Dec 6, 2017 at 12:15 PM.

1. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Everyone has seen the ads and read the reviews regarding The Disaster Artist. But what about the movie that is at the root of this whole story? The Room is an incredibly bad movie. Stilted, bizarre acting combined with ludicrous dialog. Little plot divided by repeated "love scenes" that resemble R rated 80's music videos. How director/writer/lead actor Tommy Wiseau managed to get $6 million to make this thing is beyond the mind's ability to process. Highly recommended.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I could see watching The Disaster Artist but not sure I want to suffer through The Room just to maybe increase my appreciation. I love Ed Wood but have never been compelled to see Plan 9 from Outer Space.

3. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

My buddy wanted to watch it, so we actually watched The Room last weekend.

It's horrendously bad. Probably the worst movie I've ever seen bad. But there is this charm in it because they don't KNOW they're making a bad movie and once you submit to the terribleness you find yourself laughing. Unfortunately for the movie, you're laughing AT The movie and not with it.

4. Denton

I also recommend Plan 9 from Outer Space. Both films are charmingly weird and I laughed my a** off at both.

i-did-nawt-hit-her-i-did-naaawwtt-13603832.png

Plan9-8.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 2:11 PM
  5. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

two friends who are 'Film Nuts'...loved these
    UGH! life is just too short...I like Farce on occasion
    but really bad is just really bad....why not watch/listen to
    TINY TIM to riff on Smoke on the water, terry jacks Season in the sun
    try a To do Muddy Waters...Debbie Boone should just tear up Etta james

6. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

In other words, perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon?

7. Denton

Yes. I preferred both on lazy Friday nights but that's just me. Carl cannot abide really bad. I understand, but my introduction to movies as a college course included Plan 9 from Outer Space.

DYohn likes this.
  8. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Dark Star. 'bomb 20, please disarm and return to the ship'.

9. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Just added The Room to my queue after hearing Terry Gross interview James Franco. I'm anxious to see Franco's movie The Disaster Artist.

Maureen and I were into Ed Wood for a while in the 90s, and had a pretty extensive collection of his movies on video cassettes. Glen or Glenda is a gas, and I read Rudolph Grey's biography, Ed Wood: Nightmare of Ecstacy. We even went to the the NY Film Festival premiere of the Johnny Depp biopic. Fortunately, the obsession passed.

10. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I think there is a case to be made for an academic study of poor films but if you're going in to be entertained / moved / educated / etc. and have limited free time its hard to justify watching films that top multiple lists for worst movies ever.

11. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Agree....I'll prefer to see the
    "Highlight Reels" vignettes

as it is I push the fast forward button often
    to skim thru a film...not quite Chipmunk voices
    but that first speed-ed up level.

12. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

This is why I like the really good video essays you find on youtube. I don't need to watch the film and I get a guided tour of the points. Its like auditing a college film course.