The 2017 Spin List

Discussion in 'Music Lounge' started by jasn, Jan 1, 2017.

1. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

That's my problem, I remember too much...

2. DYohn

MI0000014522.jpg

Denton likes this.
  3. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Still going through my Dad's old records. I know there's not much commentary in these threads, but these two I had to say something. Essentially, I don't get them:

LDJ07753.jpg
    What a piece of garbage. I listened to Stand Up and Aqualung before this one and I could sort of see it (the blues-aspect of Stand Up was enjoyable, and I liked the rock flute on Aqualung) but this album is complete trash. Meandering, uninteresting, and a waste of time. I almost didn't flip it over to listen to side b.

61iPlTKZ-3L.jpg
    So this one I didn't completely hate, and I could see listening to it again. But I don't get the overall love for this album as I was reading reviews, 4.5-5 stars from most major publications and putting it on par with the Beatles orchestral stuff? Not to me.

Then I listened to one more my speed (of course, this was bought by me and not from my Dad's collection):
    500x500.jpg
    I could see a lot of people hating this type of music (my Dad included, so there's that!)

DYohn likes this.
  4. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Chris, I am not a fan of "A Passion Play" either. If you liked "Stand Up", you will probably find something good in "Benefit" and "This Was" as well. As for the Moody Blues disc, understand that when this was recorded the Moodies were a mediocre pop band. They were offered a chance to record as a part of a stereo demonstration disc. The balance of the disc was an orchestral recording. And thus the "Days of Future Passed" was born. As a punkish fan you are unlikely to become a Moodies follower. Let me say, though, that a live Moody Blues show complete with a full orchestra some 20+ years ago was a spiritual experience for me. And, no, I have never taken any hallucinogens.

It is good to try things outside your normal range of tunes. Good for you.

5. Chris Smith

Yeah that makes sense (with regards to the Moody Blues) that it was different or exciting for the time. It just didn't resonate with me like the reviews were saying. But I'll listen to it again. I think coming off Passion Play I was already just annoyed so I wasn't ready for something more "cerebral" at that point!

I do try to listen to a lot of types of music and like a lot of 60s and 70s stuff, but I guess I'm just not a prog rock fan from what I've sampled so far. *edit* that must not be true because reading some more articles on "prog rock" Pink Floyd DSotM is considered prog rock and I really enjoy that album. I guess I really just dislike music genres.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  6. Denton

7. Kevin

Kevin Active Member War Zone Member

4/3.......The Byrds-Farther Along.......Tedeschi Trucks Band-Live From The Fox Oakland cd2......Thin Lizzy-Jailbreak at the Riviera Live In Chicago April 21,1976[from a WXRT FM broadcast]

Denton likes this.
  8. Denton

Going to see these guys with Buddy Guy tomorrow.
    he-Rides-publican-Pierced-Arrow-la-banda-de-Stephen-Stills-Kenny-Wayne-Shepherd-y-Barry-Goldberg.jpg

9. Chris Smith

51EZ26Oe9RL._SS500.jpg

Denton and DYohn like this.
  10. DYohn

jasn likes this.
  11. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Denton and DYohn like this.
  12. Denton