Storm door

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by CJ, Oct 24, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I've actually already played with this a bit. The problem is there's a balance. If the main door is closed (i.e. you're exiting the house and have closed the main door behind you) then the faster the storm door closes is actually worse because it traps more air. There's a balance. We live in a super windy area. We've got 40 mile an hour gusts today according to Weather Channel.
    The damper is bolted to the door. The clip system is on the door frame side. And even with the clips breaking I now looked again and noticed that now the door frame is separating from the house due the force. So not only are the clips broken but the entire door frame is damaged.

2. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Oh that sucks. Yea I'd be shit-canning the storm door idea about now too.

3. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

ah, I see. Build a Portico:rolleyes:
    $400 was the starting point $4,000
    should solve it:p

4. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Can you reverse the handing on the storm door so it wants to close with the prevailing winds? I've seen them like that around here, and it does work even if it's a bit awkward to operate.

5. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

It puts the storm door opening the opposite way of the interior door which I think is dumb.
    We have a portico.

Sorry if I'm being grumpy. I didn't want a freaking storm door after the last one ripped off. So I view this as a complete waste of money and my time to meet the installer. I told my wife that when the installer returns my call, I'll give them her phone number and she can do what she wants.

6. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Danger Will Robinson! "She can do what she wants" sounds like an enclosed front porch to me. :)

7. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

LOL