Star Wars Episode 8 - The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Jay Brown, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member War Zone Member

Overall I very much like this movie. I think with time people will learn to enjoy (if not love) it. It does have its flaws and like Max there was something that seemed off which to me was the only real issue I had with the movie as I really thought all the character choices were well done.

My issue is this being a direct continuation of the first film, opening right where The Force Awakens ended. It did not have that episodic feel that past films did where you always sensed a passage of time and knowing that the characters had changed or grown a bit between films.

I do get what Max is saying as well. This one seems more like an episode of Star Trek where the entire show is spent on the Enterprise.

I give it a very solid B+. Not my favorite Star Wars film but certainly not the worst. Maybe on par or just below Return Of The Jedi for me.

My rankings...V, Rogue One, IV, VII, VI-VIII (tie), III, I, II.
  2. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

It's got a good beat and I can dance to it... I give it an "8"
  3. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Now that the crowds have died down, I saw it today. I get that some folks didn't like it, but methinks they doth protest too much. Yes it has faults, but overall I think they were minor in the grand SW scheme of things. My biggest two grips were the choppy editing and one line of Rey's in particular that was directly opposite of one trailer. But some top notch battle fx, overall decent acting, and a number of surprises and twists. I liked it and give it a 7, if only for it being somewhat longish for my need to pee. Could have easily been an 8 but for that.
    CJ likes this.
  4. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

We went and saw this Xmas Day...I honestly think I have to see it again, and maybe again before I fully decide if I like it or not.

I agree with both Dustin and Max's comments, and CJ's not great but not bad. Some are calling this a "bridge" film and I can see why, "out with the old, in with the new (order)".

There were a lot of great 'moments' (and some not so great) in this film and I felt the moments in between some of these moments to be almost palpable.
    I remember leaning in to the girlfriend on several occasions saying "return of the jedi"..."empire strikes back"..."New Hope"...once I even said "Phantom Menace"...and I think this is the biggest thing that bugged me about the movie, there is paying homage and there is rehashing...otherwise I enjoyed it.

Again though...I need to watch it again

PS...Porgs...uugh (girlfriend loved them)
  5. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I'm sure our parents said "Ewoks, uugh..."
  6. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

I like the story Mark Hamill told on Graham Norton's show that the original concept was to visit the Wookie home planet, but the cost of the wookie costumes was too high. So, George Lucas decided to create Ewoks since that meant they could afford the costumes. The story would have likely been better if Wookies, but I'm sure Lucas made a lot more toy money off Ewoks than he would have off Wookies.