1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Spinning Beachball of Death!

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by jasn, Aug 7, 2017.

1. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I am a Windows guy but my wife and 2 kids all have older Macbooks (circa 2012-3). My daughter's MB developed the dreaded Spinning Beachball of Death several weeks back while she was away at college and managed to get through graduation. She's also pretty good with computers and tried to clear it up to no avail both by hwrself and with Apple support. She's back home for the summer so I too have been trying to solve this insane problem.

Bottom line...everything has been tried mulitple times: restore to original OS; install new HD (SSD); turn apps on and off; restore to old software using Time Machine (What a stupidly slow process!); scrutinize every fucking app on Activity monitor; Hardware test on reboot; you name it.

I am moments away from replacing this laptop but it is driving me nuts. There is just too much here to walk away from. If it's a stupid app that's causing this I can't seem to find it.

Anyone else here have to go long with this problem? There are thousands of posts on line but they all say the same thing. I'm hoping one of my buds here has a secret weapon...?

~Jim

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

If you've done a clean install and it still has issues its pretty much a given it is hardware related. If you mean you did a reinstall of the OS over the top of the current data then you can't eliminate an app. My first recommendation if you haven't is to take your backup, boot into recovery mode, and completely reformat the drive. Then boot into internet recovery mode if this model supports it and download a fresh OS. Otherwise, reboot into normal recovery mode and reinstall. Start by ONLY reinstalling major party apps, e.g. office type apps etc. Nothing outside of the app store. Go from there. If you eventually discover its a specific app, let us know.

3. jasn

Thx CJ. Hardware test on startup does not reveal any issues, however I am suspicious that something is wrong with the processor. I am going to try a stress test to see if something is hiding.

4. 90% of the time, the beachball is a sign that RAM is full and it's dumping. How much RAM is in there, and can more be added?

5. jasn

8 GB, I'm pretty sure. (not with device). That was thoughts too. The activity monitor does not report Ram even close to full. I wish I had more confidence in the diagnostics.

6. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

My wifes' 2013 MBP has 8GB and works like a champ with the latest OS so, I wouldn't think RAM was the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. CJ

8GB is plenty for OSX. Its pretty efficient and about 90% of the time my largest RAM consumer is Firefox. It uses more RAM than Photoshop and Lightroom combined.

8. Yeah, I'm running 8GB of RAM on my 2015 MBP and I'm able to smoothly edit 4K video in DaVinci Resolve.

The next thing I'd look at is the HDD, and CJ's suggestion to do a complete reformat.

9. CJ

10. jasn

Thanks CJ and Travis. I've already installed a new SSD and still having problems. I did, however, use a time machine backup from last April (when there were no problems, at least as far as I knew), so maybe I've just recloned the problem onto the new drive.

I'm just starting a clean re-install of the OS. Will report back...