1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Smash my stuff

Discussion in 'The Photography Lounge' started by Chris Slade, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member

So I have taken some pictures, and want you guys to rip me apart a bit. Not so much on composition, I am just trying to learn the camera currently. Exposure, sharpness etc.

Problem is I just exported my first jpg from Lightroom, it is 10 megs. So what should I do to get a file that is reasonable for you guys to view. Size, format, quality settings etc.

2. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Active Member Donor

Can you shoot raw files or both raw and jpeg? You have much more information to work with regarding a raw file compared to a jpeg.
    When I export raw to jpeg, I set the quality to 60, and the resolution to 240 ppi.

3. Chris Slade

still a 2 meg file but here it is.

practice.jpg

4. Chris Slade

Chopped Grayson's legs off, and cropped it even worse. Tough to get these two kids to sit still.

5. Chris Slade

Pretty happy with the exposure though.... I think.

6. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Active Member Donor

Nice sharp, clean shot. I imported it into Lightroom and from the information found in the histogram, this is pretty darn good.

Attached Files:

7. Chris Slade

The older boy is my son, The younger boy is my sister's adopted son. He is Inuit or Eskimo in old school speak.

8. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Exposure is bang on IMO. Try cropping down from the top to eliminate some of the overhead space. Negative space is fine when its planned but having the lower body cut off and then lots of space above looks like it just wasn't framed right to start. IMHO.

9. Chris Slade

You are right it was not framed right. I was just working on exposure and did some piss poor beginner framing. It all ready looked like hell from my original framing at the bottom so I just cropped there. Live and learn.

I am starting to like the camera now. For a while I had the digital teleconverter on without knowing it, pissed me off, but it was user error. I don't know if this feature really even has much use. We'll see I guess.