Shot in the dark

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Chris Slade, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I need a dwg or dxf file of the Boston Bruins logo. I have a cnc plasma cutter at work. A friend has asked me to cut the logo out of 1/4" thick steel. He plans on using about a 6" round version of the logo as a brand to burn the logo into the top of an end table. He is making the table for his father to sit next to the chair where his father sits (all of his remaining waking hours).

I don't usually do these kinds of favors, but I think I should help out here. I just can't seem to find a decent file to use. Does anyone have access to one or know where I can get one?

This is not a money making venture or anything of the sort. I expect the brand will be basically ruined after the initial use. I recently upgraded to a new cnc table and it is better than my old table in every single way except for the included drawing package. It is not really possible to draw something like this on the machine, or I'd go that route. On my old machine I could have done this without much difficulty.

2. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

Have you considered drawing it in Sketchup or something like that? Can that export in the formats that you need?

3. Saurav

4. Saurav

5. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

Here's something you can download as a dxf. I have no idea if that's what your looking for, but it says Boston Bruins.

GrabCAD - CAD library

6. Chris Slade

Never even tried 2D in sketch-up, is that a thing?

7. Chris Slade

Jeff, I was trying to remember the name of that site, thanks for posting it.

8. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

Fusion360 is free and can export dxf files. If you were capable of drawing what you need on your old machine software I bet it wouldn't take you long to figure out how to do it in Fusion360.

10. Chris Slade

Guys thanks for the help, I got this done today. One old guy will be very happy this year.

I downloaded a dxf, then downloaded librecad, modified the file, saved it in a format that worked on my table, and boom it was all done. Thanks again.

11. Saurav

Nice. I forgot about Fusion360, I have a co-worker who used to work on that at AutoCAD, she's done a few tech talks about 3D printing.

I think SketchUp can do 2D drawings? I only used it once for designing some open baffle speakers, but I remember I'd started in 2D before extruding and building it out.

Anyway... glad you found a solution :)

12. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

You can still download sketchup make, but they've discontinued it. The new free one is web based in the browser. I've downloaded and stored the 2017 installer on my nas now The browser version does work way better then I expected. But it also hung when I tried to view all the entities in one of my more complex models.

Yep you can change to a fixed top down view and change to parallel projection instead of perspective. Then as long as you don't use the orbit tool you can just draw 2D.