1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Scotch Recommendations?

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Graeme, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Nice chart. I favor the lower right quadrant, but there are some tasty sips on the lower left, as well.

2. Shane

Shane Active Member

time in the barrels is starting to sound like craft beer :)

My palate has changed a lot since i last had scotch.

i'll revisit this

3. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

You can go hit Traders and get these 3;

Famous Grouse - A blend, not single malt, but smooth & light and $30 a liter
    Monkey Shoulder - More flavor, still smooth - $35 / fifth
    Balvanie Doublewood - Still more flavor / richer and smooth $40 / fifth

So for a hundred bucks you will have a pretty good intro and a nice bar when people visit.

4. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

So, after many rotations of $50-70 bottles, I wanted to try something different / more expensive, so I picked up a Balvenie 15 year Sherry single cask. And... it's way more different that I expected. The first time I poured myself my normal amount, and after the first sip, I knew that was too much. Very strong vapors and burn :) I wasn't sure about the taste, can't tell if it's a bit on the peaty side or not. I tried adding an ice cube to it, and that just made it taste really weird.

Next night, second glass, much smaller pour. Better, but still very strong. At the end of the glass, I put just a few drops of water in it, and that seemed promising.

So tonight I'll probably try it with some water.

Has anyone else had this? How do you drink it? It's 47.5%ABV, I checked my other bottles and they all seem to be 45%. Not sure if that 2.75% is making such a difference? It doesn't say 'cask strength' on the bottle, FWIW. I don't think it's a crime to add water to scotch, it's just that I've just never felt the need to do that until now.

5. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

A splash of water is no sin, lot's of people do it.

6. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

Tried Chardu and a few others at a scotch and cigar night. i liked it. I did not care for the heavy peat flavors.

7. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

many distillers/blenders taste first straight...
    then 30 minutes later after
    the alcohol has breathed off...
    taste again...then with water
    often at what would be 60 prof.

And this is a distinctive Speyside scotch.
    and it's 94 Proof...whereas Double wood
    is typical 86 prof. above 90 it's got some bite.
    think of this like dB 86 db speaker VS 94dB VS 100 dB.

I might have encouraged you to move onto
    an Oban or Glenfraclas much more approachable. imho

Or encourage you to go to a pub and ask for a tasting.
    Much cheaper than a Bottle.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2016
  8. Saurav

I've tried Glenfarclas. I liked it. Don't remember if I've tried an Oban. I liked the Doublewood and the Portwood, which is why I felt more comfortable springing for this one :)

Good point :)

9. Carl V

10. Saurav

You know, I saw that Amrut at the store yesterday :) Reading the description, it sounds like it might be a bit on the peaty side.

11. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

It is.

Balvenie 15 is not peaty in comparison, but it may not be peat that you found unpleasant.

12. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Balvanie 15? Yes think I'll join you. No peat; what you're tasting is likely the bourbon cask. Give it some ice.

13. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

You use filtered water for your ice cubes? Water oughtn't make it taste weird.

14. Carl V

his is mostly finished in Sherry casks and Saurav really disliked it with ICE.

It's interesting how we all have differing impressions with some overlap.

15. Graeme

Is this the oldest sherry cask whisky you've had Saurav? Is the weird flavour you don't like kinda sulfur like? That can be a side effect of sherry cask that can be stronger the longer the whisky is aged is a sherry cask.

16. Saurav

Yes, it's a sherry cask.

No, I didn't like it with ice.

No, I don't use filtered water for the ice, other than whatever filter is in the fridge.

Yes, this is the oldest sherry cask I've had. I think the only other sherry cask I've had is the Doublewood, of which I've had the 12, not the 17.

That might be it. I'll have to see if it feels like a sulfur taste the next time I drink it (and try not to let the suggestion guide my perception). I can't really say that confidently right now, but it's a weird aftertaste that lingers in my mouth.

17. Graeme

Check also how long they say it is aged in Sherry Casks (if they say).

The Doublewood, if I'm remembering correctly, is only aged for 2 of its years in Sherry Casks.

18. Carl V

Our municipal water is decent not great.
    Therefore for my "drinks' ice cubes I
    use either distilled water or a 'pure tasting'
    bottled water. I have silicon molds for
    big 1" or huge 2" square cubes or BIG spheres.

Best of luck Saurav....if ya bought it locally, I bet
    they take it back in exchange for another bottle.
    My store down the street will.

19. Saurav

Yes, he did offer to take the Lagavulin back. But I'm not sure if I want to send this one back. I tried it with some water last night, and that tasted a lot better. Although I used a bit too much water :) I think I'll be able to make it work.

20. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

This.