1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Schiit Stack

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Jack, May 15, 2017.

1. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Recently I became the proud owner of a Schiit Modi Dac and a Schiit Vali headphone amp via a contest here in Home Theater Lounge, Thank You !!

As such, I have been experimenting since I have received them I can say without a doubt that this combination is the best I own or have heard. Using several sets of headphones that I own at this time as follows:

Beyerdynamic DT880, 250 ohm version,
    Pioneer SE A1000, 45 Ohm
    Sony MDR-EX90LP 16 ohm version.
    While I did once again try to revive my Denon AHD2000's that the doggie ate by trying to redo the cable but it only lasted a short while, I guess I am not a micro solderer.
    All music was retrieved via Jriver at cd quality or high rez 24/96 through my media server or my office computer. 24/192 high rez files were not used as the Schiit Modi could not decode them.

As far as Dac/Amplifiers I tried the following:

Schiit Stack Modi and Vali, This Vali is a tube amp while the dac is solid state
    Headroom Desktop Amp/Dac
    Topping TP31 Amp/Dac
    Dared I30 integated tube amp fed via internal dac
    M-Audio M-Track Plus

More to follow as I work through my edits. Oh and as you can see in the image, I did order the Pyst interconnects for these two as they are kind of light and actually they seem to work better than many other choices.

More to follow as I work through my edits. Oh and as you can see in the image, I did order the Pyst interconnects for these two as they are kind of light and actually they seem to work better than many other choices.

View attachment 27151 View attachment 27152

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Great to hear! Glad you're enjoying them and they're no longer gathering dust.

3. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I don't think I will go into much detail as it could take forever, but I will pare things down properly.
    Never the less I can now rate them:

1) Schiit Stack - The amp is a tube unit and provides detailed yet sweet sound, not rounded off like one would think.

2) Topping TP31 - Great sound, a bit of a rise in the top end and with the Beyerdynamic, it was really running out of steam volume wise. Luckily I dont listen that loud.

3) Headroom Desktop amp, I thought this would be one or two seeing as how it is class A and recently rebuilt. This is the Swiss Army Knife of my collection. This has a bit of an overall lazy sound, kind of warm like a cloudy summer afternoon. Not unpleasant and I could live with it and the Topping. This one has plenty of power to drive most any headphone.

4) Dared I30, This is a tube integrated but apparenly the internal Dac is not up to snuff. It does very well as a integrated being fed by the Mydac on speakers.

5) M Audio, this was just so tinny and poor I could not even consider it.

4. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Glad you are having fun, Jack. I, too, own a Headroom amp. I like it more than you like yours it would seem. I prefer the Schiit Stack I have regardless.