Samsung MicroLED "Wall"

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by DustinDavis, Jan 9, 2018.

1. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

2. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Very interesting read. Cost aside, this won't be for everyone.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

People have been talking about displays getting large enough to kill off front projection for 10 years. We'll see.

4. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

The issue with these will be the same issue that has always plagued large displays: uniformity affecting yield. But this technology uses existing tech made smaller, which means it is likeley cheaper to produce (definitely cheaper than OLED) so there will be motivation for manufacturers to get on this bandwagon.

As an aside you should see the tools made by AKT used by companies like Samsung to make large LED panels. Take a typical sized WalMart or Costco building, and it might fit two of them.

5. DustinDavis

One drawback of this, I’d say it’s suboptimal vs. having an acoustically transparent screen enabling the largest screen size and optimal speaker placement.

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member War Zone Member

But how are they going to make them acoustically transparent ;)

Edit: don't know why I didn't see the previous replies until after I replied. I'll blame tappatalk.

7. DustinDavis

Yeah that’s what I mean. I assume you cannot. So that would be the trade off if you went this route vs. AT front projection. Have to move the front speakers.

8. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month