1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Safari Problem

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by DustinDavis, Sep 30, 2017.

1. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

I have a MacBook Air, I think 2011 or some such. Just upgraded to Mac OS High Sierra, and I have Safari 11 on it. Suddenly Safari is not rendering pages properly. To illustrate:

Laptop Monitor. Shows correctly.

LaptopMonitor.jpeg

Now external monitor:

ExternalMonitor.jpeg

See the whitespace? When the page first renders it actually shows that content, and if I click on those whitespaces it actually clicks through the content underneath. So I know it is actually downloaded to the client. Also if I take this page and drag it to the laptop monitor, it shows correctly. It only does this on Safari (not Chrome), and only on the external monitor. It's not unique to My Yahoo, I've seen this or something like it on other sites. In fact HTL also demonstrated one flavor of it. For example when I was figuring out how to show these images in this thread, I tried the "image" button in the Rich Text Editor, which displays a pop-up accepting an image URL. That pop-up does not render properly on Safari, on external monitors.

I'm using a DisplayLink box to connect the external monitors, so yes I'm aware that could be a part of the puzzle. But it wasn't until I upgraded to Mac OS High Sierra.

I just wonder if anyone else has seen this or has ideas.

2. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

3. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

I'm given to understand that there are a bunch of new ad/autoplay/tracking block type of things in this new update. Supposedly they can be turned off in settings. Advert email that outlined this came from OWC, but I didn't keep it. Anything on mac forums? I've not installed High Sierra yet, I always wait for issues to settle down.

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

If only those last two boxes were blocked it would have been an ideal rendering of a Yahoo page.

DYohn likes this.
  5. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Nyuk nyuk. Don’t forget it’s affecting HTL too. ;)

6. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

I'm having a similar problem with You Tube. The pages keep loading over and over again until I can catch it with command period. Sucks. I've read it is because of some banners ads that causing the problem.