Robotic Lawn Mower

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Chris Slade, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I m laying 3600ft of new sod this weekend. I have a proper sprinkler system also installed under the top soil.

My front lawn is small and takes me 10 minutes to mow with the smallest ride on mower you can buy.

If I mow the back with a ride on, I need to upgrade. I take my lawn seriously, and the current mower is not the long term plan. I don't really want a walk behind, once you stop that it is hard to go back. I really value my free time in the summer (and my son's) for time at the lake etc. our season is short so we try and make the most of it.

I am considering an automower from Husqvarna. These are not popular in North America period ( I think), and certainly not in my area but the are available. These are much more common in Europe.

Just a shot in the dark to see if anyone here has one?

Link to a review video

2. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

For $3500 I can pay a squad of guys for multiple years to not only mow but other work. Cool gadget but from my perspective the value prop is not there. As implied, no I do not have one.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I'd be nervous about damage or injury. It WILL mow over anything left out in the yard.

4. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

My contractor is going to start next week. We're going with a rock garden with islands of fake grass.

5. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

...OK

6. Chris Slade

The one needed for my lawn would be about $2500, which is less than a decent ride on mower. I never considered hiring a service, just not something I would do.

7. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I'm curious why you'd rather have a robot mowing than hiring a service?

8. Rick C

Rick C Member

Chris just a thought that your son is approaching an age where he can take this task on and be proud of helping out the family. My son would mow our lawn and as he grew up he took on some mowing for other people. He learned some things in the process and grew in independence.

I must say it was a shock to my system when the job became completely mine again as he grew up and out. When he came home to visit he always wanted to do at least part of it. I relearned to enjoy the time listening to podcasts as I mowed our two acres which I continued to do until we moved two years ago.

9. Mike B

Ah yes, chores. I had lawn mowing, window washing and dog feces collection and disposal.

That robot is cool, a "roomba" for the lawn.

10. Chris Slade

My next door neighbour is a ummmmm wealthy guy. He has people to do everything, he doesn't own a tool. He is not a hands on guy. I on the other hand build my own stuff, fix my own stuff, and take good care of my own stuff, including the lawn. Hiring it out is just not me, at least not 40 year old me. I also have too much stuff lying around at the lake etc. The less people arounnd here the better.

I thought about getting my son to mow, but that requires a mower purchase of some kind. My current ride on is just not safe enough, too tippy, I would never ask anyone else to use it. So I would need a new ride on or walk behind. The issue there is I sold the best Honda walk behind money can buy last year because I was tired of using it. My wife would not be happy to see me go out and buy another.

11. Rick C

Rick C Member

We have the same thing in the California neighborhood where we live now. Many people can't or don't do anything.

Service workers come with a mobile car wash weekly, other people come to wash out garbage cans, others come to walk the dog, others put up and take down Xmas lights- these are in homes where there are kids that can walk the dog. The kids cars are washed weekly too!

It sometimes feels like a foreign land!

Understand about the tippy mower - safety first.

12. Chris Slade

Yeah, I cheaped out on the ride on, I got one where you site on top of the motor, not like a typical lawn tractor. I lost control almost as soon as I bought it run up onto a stump with the blade engaged I had to bail and jump as far as I can from the mower. Then replace the damage. As soon as that happened I knew I had made a purchasing mistake and that no one else in my family would ever be driving the mower. It looks almost like a go kart. It works decent, but is smaller than you would buy to mow my lawn once this new sod is down.

In my garage, I park my wife's car, a side by side Kubota, a lawn mower and use the space as a metal shop. So it is tight, I really don't want another big tractor in there.

13. Eric

Eric Active Member

I seriously thought about a robotic mower for the new house. And I thought about hiring a service. Long story short, I just bought an electric (battery) push mower. For the tiny patch of grass I have here in California, I couldn't justify anything but doing it myself. I figure whatever happens, I can keep the new mower for perimeter work and buy another rider for the rest of it.

14. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

It's a function of money vs. time IMO. My wife and I could use our limited free time maintaining the yard, or doing something she loves, which is planting and growing stuff. I am fortunate that today I can afford to pay someone to take care of the lawn, that wasn't always the case.

Just because your neighbor is wealthy and doesn't own any tools, that doesn't necessarily mean he's got no sense and is throwing away money, it may mean that his priorities are different for how he wants to spend his time. If you enjoy doing the work by yourself, that's great. you don't want to hire it out as a matter of principle, that's cool too. Those are your values / priorities. Not everyone has the financial luxury / choice of being able to trade money for spare time, so just make sure you've thought it through, for what you will look back on and be happy about 10 years from now.

And I would recommend reading this. Written by a very insightful friend of mine. Might make you think about your priorities too.

Acting Dead, Trading Up and Leaving the Middle Class

CJ likes this.
  15. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

In California I went back and forth using a lawn service and mowing/maintaining myself. I preferred doing it myself. If I had a lawn area large enough to justify a riding mower, I might consider the robot thingy. But I am happy in AZ with no lawn to mow...

16. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

If I could like your post more than once I would. I mean, not only in this particular case, but judging how others who have money spend it is near the top of my pet peeves list. Chris' neighbor is probably looking out the window going "Gosh, its too bad Chris isn't successful enough and has to waste his free time mowing his own yard. Poor guy."

17. Chris Slade

Wow, this thread took a turn. I think my post may have come across poorly, which I can understand because I write so poorly, or you guys are a bit nuts.

This is in no way a financial decision for me, myself, new tractor, robot, service are all options I can handle. I was looking for opinion on the mower, I didn't even mention the price.

Also my neighbor mows his own lawn. He grew up on a farm and loves mowing, he thinks the robot idea is nuts, why wouldn't I want to cut my own grass? Would be his question.

18. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

Definitely the nuts option :)

19. Mike B

That must be a different neighbor than the guy who hires everything?

20. Rick C

Rick C Member

I have a robot vacuum running at the moment. In general it requires no supervision BUT it does get hung up from time to time. I can think of worse things than sitting back with a beer in hand watching the robot mower doing the job!

We never had a gardener back east. When we bought the house in California we had two months where we did not live in it while packing up. We had to hire a gardener. After we moved we got to know him and liked him so we continue to have him do the job.

Our vacuum has a name now and has become kind of like a third pet. If you want the mower go for it. It kind of looks like a little Batmobile :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017