Recommend - Automotive sound absorbing material

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by capsuleri, Dec 14, 2017.

1. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Looking for noise absorbing material not noise damping like Dynamat. Prefer something self adhesive. Need to reduce road noise from the trunk area. Any recommendations?

2. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Any sound proofing insulation can help. There is a product called Quiet Batt that is safe for all environments and relatively effective. It's not self-adhesive but you can use spray-on adhesive to help keep it in place.

3. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

I don’t understand why Dynamat does not suffice? I used it once to quiet a noisy dishwasher.

4. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Dynamat and all its clones is very effective at reducing noise, including road noise, by dampening vibration especially large automotive panel vibrations. Acoustic mats dampen noise by absorbing airborne noises that are not caused by automotive panel vibrations. The best solution is usually to use both (actually the best solution is to re-weld your vehicle and add rigid supports to stop the vibration from happening in the first place, but that is impractical.

5. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member War Zone Member

McMaster Carr has tons of options. Enter the wormhole here: McMaster-Carr

:)

6. capsuleri

Thanks Jeff, totally forgot about McMaster Carr. I had bought the egg crate absorber for the sonotube sub from them.

7. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

they also sell very nice Wool Felt in various thicknesses....
    used on speaker baffles

8. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

9. capsuleri

For my kind of occasional and light duty use Harbor Tools is just right. I like their 5mil Nitrile disposable gloves for food handling and indoor use and 9Mil for outdoor use.