1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Pre-out as Line-out?

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by capsuleri, May 11, 2017.

1. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

Can I use pre-out for zone 2 in my Marantz 6010 as a line-out (aka tape-out in old receivers) safely? If not any alternative?

2. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Sure, as long as it is active in all modes (not all zone outputs are.)

3. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

What about the effect of volume control on zone 2??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Many preamps with zone outputs have separate volume control for the zones. But yes this is a consideration.

5. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

What would the line outs be used for?

6. capsuleri

David, generally what's the max output through a pre-out? I think the old line out used to be 1.0 or 1.2 volt. I want to be sure I don't blow the input of my newly repaired Nak BX 2.

Phil, to make mix tapes of some of my LPs for a old car without a CD player.

7. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Standard consumer audio line-level output is 1 volt peak-to-peak.

8. capsuleri

So is volume controlled pre-out?

9. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Yes.

10. capsuleri

Thanks!

11. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

I'd think it would be much easier to use one of these - Compact LP - 3-Speed USB Conversion Turntable - ION Audio - Dedicated to Delivering Sound Experiences

Sometimes you can find deals on them a bit cheaper (years back I got a VHS to USB for $30).

12. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

They also have videos on how to use the software - e.g. -

Years back I had separate recorders DVD, CD and VHS (still have it but have not used it in years) and when someone wanted a VHS tape made into a DVD I'd take out both components. One day on woot.com they had the Ion VHS to USB machine for $29.99 plus $5 shipping. So I bought it and stuck it in a closet in the basement of my old house. I gave away the DVD and CD recorders when I moved about 3.5 years back. A couple of people wanted VHS made into DVDs and it was an easy conversion with their software. There's other products out there too - Amazon.com: ION Audio U Record USB Music Archive System: Musical Instruments

13. capsuleri