Pioneer DV-ax10. Help and advice

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by carlthess40, Jan 13, 2018 at 2:45 AM.

1. carlthess40

carlthess40 New Member

Hello
    Anyone ever used one of these 55lbs gold/copper players? I have one that’s seen better days but still works, I need a remote for her
    I’m not sure if I want to keep it or pass it on to someone else. So any input would be helpful
    Thanks
    Carl
    b4222ecac0a83a8ba7445936e5a5d639.jpg c35819bd2d5a5fed2514fc1ffb8b60c9.jpg 9afba614861ab158b63c3e442e56242b.jpg 7470412eb083b8e026332ca70e485816.jpg 69aaf0764704f0732a7601a463d9be08.jpg 23e1fd3099b773b1c3bb56bcb12d08a3.jpg dvd sacd

2. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

Never used one. I've used other things built like it with BNC component outs (probably still have the BNC to RCA component cables I made) and it is dated. There has been lots of improvements in DAC technology over the past 15 years. Here's a review - Pioneer DV-AX10 SACD/DVD-A/CD player

Digital and video technology changes much more rapidly than other things (e.g. amps, speakers). So things get out of date on a regular basis. The review more or less comes to similar conclusions I had with those old universal players. They tend to do DVD-A nicely and not as good on SACD and probably somewhere in between on CD playback.

3. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

If you are using it to watch DVDs, I would not bother. Cheap Blu player with upscaling will perform much better.

4. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Plus 55 lbs for a DVD player are you serious? I don’t understand how you build a 55 lb DVD player unless you put bricks in it.

5. Phil A

I've had things about as heavy. I owned at one point many moons ago a Proceed PMDT which was just a DVD transport (no decoders). I also owned at one point a rare Samsung HD1000 which upsampled the copy protected video via the analog component outs (they only get a couple of hundred into the country). Power supplies are really important and I'm sure the power supply in the Pioneer weighs lots.

6. Phil A

Yes and it has HDMI too.

7. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I dont know the actual specs, but when I saw the Balanced outputs, I immediately thought of the Oppo 205. You may end up having a decent CD Transport.

8. carlthess40

carlthess40 New Member

Im only using it for two channel audio. I need to find some sacd’s
    I had about 40 of them before we moved, no telling were the wife put them lol. From what I have seen on the web of the inside, it has tons of copper plates for shielding and for holding the components together
    And no hdmi

9. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Not sure its worth it but sometimes some older gear that at the time was nothing special ends up being surprisingly good. I think Larry Borden used to run an old Sony CD that was nothing special in its time as a transport because the audio gods later determined it had some special juju.

Try eBay for the remote.

10. carlthess40

carlthess40 New Member

I found one on eBay it’s 45.00 I think. I even seen some sites selling this beast anywhere from 1100 to 2300. No way I would spend that kind of cash on it. Thank god I got a great deal of a life time on it