1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Photo Challenge Rules and Poll set up instructions

Discussion in 'The Photography Lounge' started by Bill Stratton, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Bill Stratton

Bill Stratton New Member

For our friendly photo challenge, the rules are pretty simple and straightforward:

1. Photo must be taken by the forum member AFTER the challenge topic is posted, and BEFORE the poll is created for the voting.

2. The challenge runs one week - Thursday to Wednesday. On Wednesday (usually afternoon to early evening) the poll is posted and open for 1 day (24 hours).

3. The winner of a challenge creates the next challenge thread on Thursday after the poll closes, and sets up the poll for the new challenge on the following Wednesday afternoon / evening. If you know that you won't be able to do this, just let the rest of us know, and we'll figure out something.

4. You may post as many pictures as you'd like for the topic, but you must select the ONE you want entered into the poll.

5. You may interpret the challenge topic any way you'd like, but often the author of the challenge gives clarifying instructions. Remember that the voting audience needs to "get" your picture.

========================================

How to set up the poll

A. Start a new thread with the Title: Weekly Photo Challenge: [topic]
    (note that "Poll:" and the chart icon will be added preceding the [topic] by the system.)

B. In the Message area, enter a number and follow it with the pictures to vote on. (You may enter a preceeding message if you'd like, but later in the Poll settings you will enter the actual question.)

The easiest way to get the picture, is to open a new window or tab, go to the photo thread, right click (for Windows users, I don't have a clue for Mac) on the picture, click Copy, come back to your new thread, and under the number, right click and hit Paste.

[paste here]

[paste here]

C. To make this a Poll, scroll down below the message box to the Additional Options section.

D. In the Post a Poll section, check the box and enter the number of pictures.

E. Click Submit New Thread. This will bring up the Post a Poll dialog box.

F. In the Poll Question entry box, enter something like "Vote for your favorite photo."

F. Enter poll Option 1 as "1." and poll Option 2 as "2." etc. to match the number of the pictures.

G. In Poll Timeout, enter "1" day as the length of time to leave the poll open.

H. In Miscellaneous Options, leave them set to the defaults: (Multiple=unchecked, public=unchecked, parse=checked)

I. Click Submit New Poll. Done.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2011
  2. Bill Stratton

Bill Stratton New Member

Admin, please make this a sticky.

Everyone: post your comments, enhancements and corrections here and I'll update the info above.

3. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

You've been stuck. ;)

4. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

I do it slightly differently: I open a second HTL session in another tab in my browser with the thread all the submitted pics. I right click on the image I want, and select Copy Image Location. I then use the Insert Image button and paste the copied image location into the space for the image's URL.

5. Bill Stratton

Bill Stratton New Member

Thanks Larry!

Tom, you must not be using IE as I do. There is no Copy Image Location.

However, in fiddling just now, I discovered that if I right click then select Copy, I can simply paste it in the new thread message. That's even easier!

I don't like the Insert Image button because my browser requires me to OK the pop up first and I don't like all the extra clicking.

Using the other editing screen also keeps the post short vertically until I submit it.

6. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

I'm using Firefox.

7. Stefan

Stefan New Member War Zone Member

Thanks for posting this. And sorry to be the cause of posting this :)

Stefan

8. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

Bill, I do it basically the same as you. I've almost always used IE and opening two windows side by side is the quickest way I've found.

To mirror Stefan, thanks for posting this, great idea!

9. Bill Stratton

Bill Stratton New Member

While you were the impetus to me writing this, it's nothing to be sorry about. I've wanted to do it for quite a while. You just got me off my butt.

10. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Weekly Photo Challenge : Books

I have always had a fondness for books, the tactile feel, the look of them, what they do to my mind and where they can take me.

As such I would like to have a photo session of Books and if possible, set the mood in the photo for what a book does for you. Maybe that is too much to ask. If so, just Books. An ebook is of course acceptable if that is your preference.