Pet peeve: Fake service animals

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by CJ, Dec 5, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I'm not sure how much of this is a new thing vs. just my increased awareness, but I have just randomly stumbled across SEVERAL comments on social media in the past 2-3 months where someone suggest a way to get around rules related to pets (e.g. flying or renting a no-pets apartment) by registering their pet as a service animal, usually, an emotional support animal. Apparently you cannot ban a person with a support animal even in a no-pets rental. I've seen facebook and reddit post where people are complaining about struggling to find pet-friendly housing or coming up with the additional pet deposit. Inevitably someone suggests registering the pet as a support animal to get around that. All of this grinds my gears so bad.

I believe the concept of an emotional support animal is valid. People with PTSD can have specially trained dogs that calm them if they get triggered. In my opinion, this legitimate benefit is already tarnished by people who get their Yorkie registered because they're a special snowflake who gets worked up easily. But anxiety outside of PTSD certainly does exist. However, beyond that people are just out right faking it.

For me, as someone with sever allergies and asthma, knowing that renting pet-free housing is no guarantee at all that the prior owner didn't have dog is really frustrating (even though I'm not in a rental situation and probably won't be).

To me, all of this goes to the selfish, low character society we have become. And it is facilitated by the fact that there are no requirements or official processes to register an animal as a service animal. You can essentially go do it online yourself. No Dr. notes or evaluation of your claimed condition is needed. This site even advertises the most popular reasons why people go through this bullshit process. Emotional Support Animal Letters | ESA Co.

2. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Interesting. I'll have to go register my dog, you know just in case. :)

3. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

If you want to be on my shit list, go ahead! Also, I'd love to see you bring your dog on an airplane in one of those vented duffle bags.

4. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

This has been a pet peeve for Maureen for many years. Since she taught and now writes about blindness and visual impairment, guide dogs are a big topic. She furious when people compare their emotional dependence on their pets to a blind or visually impaired person's need for a dog. She really went ballistic when she read that someone claimed a pot-bellied pig was a support animal. Oui vey!!!

5. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

David, how about your daughter's sanke?

DYohn likes this.
  6. DYohn

Yes, that would be a trick indeed. Do they make vented doggie duffels that will hold an animal 37 inches tall at the shoulder and 130 lbs? :)

7. DYohn

Her problem would be deciding which of her 24 breeding adults to choose... but they would hold her close, providing emotional support...

8. jhoak

jhoak Active Member War Zone Member

9. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

Squirrel!?!?!

10. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I can't get the Scene (s) from UP, when Squirrel
    is mentioned....just imagine a service squirrel &
    a Service Dog in the same house.

**Sigh**, now we need another law & Regulation for this,
    which means a regulatory group, an over sight Commission,
    an advocacy group for those left out

11. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I have no problem with well behaved dogs anywhere. Very common in Europe, even in restaurants where they curl up under the table.

12. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

You don't have a problem because you're not allergic. If a place wants to become a "dog bar" or a "dog coffee shop" I'd be fine with that but I don't want people bringing their pets to places I eat just because they're "well behaved".

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  13. carlthess40

carlthess40 New Member

I though this fourm was about home audio!!!

14. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

This is the off topic area. Feel free to start an audio or home theater related thread. We’re happy to discuss.

DYohn likes this.
  15. DYohn

Yea, but don't be surprised when it goes off-topic. That's what thinking, creative people do. :)

16. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

Really doesn't surprise me. With the weather we have, I see more service animals and non-service animals especially at places that have outdoor seating. One of my favorite places has dog bowls behind the outdoor portion of the bar to put water in for people's animals.

Squirrels are not known to make the best pets. I find them amusing to watch and will generally carry a small bag of peanuts in the car. After hurricane Irma, I have a bunch of pine branches and cones sitting in the gutter in the back. I had one squirrel that would come from the wooded preserve and like to chew the pine cones on top of my pool screen. I went upstairs to move some dust around in the bonus room and looking out of the window has screening below it and faces the wooded preserve and lake, I had a squirrel staring at me.

17. carlthess40

carlthess40 New Member

I’m just rattling the squirrel cage. Lol. I am disabled and it pisses me off to see dumb stupid stuff like that. But we live in the land of the entitlement people
    were the few outweigh the more

18. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I can definitely see that being irritating. I guess the only solution is really a formal certification process which does mean more regulations and bureaucracy. That would help but even then I understand there are physicians that will, for example, pass out handicap parking placards like candy. What we really need is for people to consider the legitimate reason these things exist and if they don't fall into one of those legitimate categories to move along. Getting a certificate from a bogus website to save on a deposit is deplorable and to your point, an insult to those with legitimate conditions.

19. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

People always take advantage of the situation. It happens with handicapped parking as well. I've seen I know drive up and park with a sticker for a deceased spouse or from a grandparent who was not in the car. When my arthritis acted up in the hip late last year and earlier this year, I had trouble walking without really bad pain (one time I drove up to the supermarket and got back in the car and drove home as I couldn't handle the walk). Was on pills (until my stomach gave out) for several weeks and went to physical therapy. After seeing all kinds of people park in handicapped spots that abuse them and having an XRAY on file for my problems, I decided to ask my MD several months ago and got a sticker. It was a couple of factors. One was stubborn pride. The other was I used to feel that someone needed it more. I finally decided that there is no need to aggravate my condition when it is bothering me when there is a decent amount of abuse.

Apparently, under Florida law, there is a stricter definition of a service animal:

Service Animals | Disability Rights Florida

20. DYohn

Wait a minute CJ, you are asking for people to stop being selfish self-centered narcissists! Not gonna happen my friend. :)

CJ likes this.