1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Oppo Players

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by RJ, Jul 22, 2017.

1. RJ

RJ Member

I don't download movies, so this is a non factor. I was just considering buying the UHD Pioneer drive, and spinning the disc to watch, basically building my own UHD player at a reduced price since the PC can also serve several other purposes.

2. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Active Member Donor

Just remember your hardware requirements for Playing UHD via HTPC. I believe you need software such as PowerDVD to play UHD content, and a GPU such as an Nvidia GX960.

3. RJ

RJ Member

Playing UHD requires a 7th generation Intel chip and GPU with HDMI 2.o/2.2, Windows 10, software that has HDCP 2.2.

There is something hardware related in the Intel processor that allows for playback, without it you're not going to go anywhere. The new NUCs can handle it given you put the UHD drive in an external enclosure.

Maybe just going OPPO is the way to go after all, lol

4. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Active Member Donor

I believe the Kaby Lake Chipset is a must, where the CPU is secondary. Everywhere I've read, at minimum an Nvidia GX960 is also a requirement.

Power DVD was one of the first programs to playback UHD discs, but I believe there are more.

Over at AVS in the HTPC section there's alot of information, but you will also read comments shying away from the platform, and leaning towards a good media streamer.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk