One of the advantages of a work from home day

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by CJ, Aug 2, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Where do you put the ribs for your guests?

2. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I just have a large egg. I could squeeze 2 full racks (cut in half) in but that's about it.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

Quality over quantity, guests and ribs ;)

4. Mike B

A Traeger is not some piece of crap smoker, they work very good. People love them. The 22 has 2 probe inputs for meat temp. I like the thermostat too. Just fill the hopper and turn it on.

It's not like I'm gonna toss the egg inna trash?

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I think Traegers are pretty good. Grilling / smoking is generally a guy's hobby so there is a lot of over-buying vs. what's actually needed.

This would actually perform (hold temp, be consistent) better:
    index.jpg

than this would:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTc54limW3ZHcgNZ5V2lS4_4zrndNTMsY6pQ8y9kNyKPNIENmX_.jpg

My observation hanging around the smoker forums is that there are a few newer brands that have been started buy guys who were unhappy with some of the legacy brands' products or design decisions or wanted to do 100% Made in America and they're kind of taking customers from some of those older brands. My new smoker is built like a tank.

Its good to have options. I'm not getting rid of my gas grill. It does different things that a smoker doesn't and vice versa.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  6. Mike B

Hehe, yeah, that's why I not going to buy anything until I do need it. That will be after I get the house re-arranged (once again) for Kelly. If I don't have a dozen people over I don't need to cook 6 racks of ribs - :)

7. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

Get a vertical rib rack. You can add a lot more ribs and the bottom ribs get the advantage of the drippings from the top.

ChristopherG likes this.
  8. Mike B

I use a slant rack now but I could go vertical and maybe get 2 racks (cut in half, 4 slabs) in there. But that would only work for 4 to 5 people. I need enough space for not only the smoke but the sauce 10 minutes before I pull them.