1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

One of the advantages of a work from home day

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by CJ, Aug 2, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Where do you put the ribs for your guests?

2. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I just have a large egg. I could squeeze 2 full racks (cut in half) in but that's about it.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

Quality over quantity, guests and ribs ;)

4. Mike B

A Traeger is not some piece of crap smoker, they work very good. People love them. The 22 has 2 probe inputs for meat temp. I like the thermostat too. Just fill the hopper and turn it on.

It's not like I'm gonna toss the egg inna trash?

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I think Traegers are pretty good. Grilling / smoking is generally a guy's hobby so there is a lot of over-buying vs. what's actually needed.

This would actually perform (hold temp, be consistent) better:
    index.jpg

than this would:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTc54limW3ZHcgNZ5V2lS4_4zrndNTMsY6pQ8y9kNyKPNIENmX_.jpg

My observation hanging around the smoker forums is that there are a few newer brands that have been started buy guys who were unhappy with some of the legacy brands' products or design decisions or wanted to do 100% Made in America and they're kind of taking customers from some of those older brands. My new smoker is built like a tank.

Its good to have options. I'm not getting rid of my gas grill. It does different things that a smoker doesn't and vice versa.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  6. Mike B

Hehe, yeah, that's why I not going to buy anything until I do need it. That will be after I get the house re-arranged (once again) for Kelly. If I don't have a dozen people over I don't need to cook 6 racks of ribs - :)

7. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

Get a vertical rib rack. You can add a lot more ribs and the bottom ribs get the advantage of the drippings from the top.

ChristopherG likes this.
  8. Mike B

I use a slant rack now but I could go vertical and maybe get 2 racks (cut in half, 4 slabs) in there. But that would only work for 4 to 5 people. I need enough space for not only the smoke but the sauce 10 minutes before I pull them.