1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

One of the advantages of a work from home day

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by CJ, Aug 2, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

IMG_0325.JPG

DYohn likes this.
  2. My, that IS a very clean grill ;)

Looks delicious.

3. CJ

1 hour later

IMG_0327.JPG

4. CJ

Well I'll have to come clean. Yes... but not because I cleaned it. That's not my grill. That is my new smoker. My GMG basically bit the dust so I gave it to a neighbor who thinks his brother can rehab it. So I purchased a Blaz'n Grillworks. They're made in Nebraska, 90 minutes away from Omaha. Nice unit. Uses a PID temp controller like a high end espresso machine.

The grill I was referring to cleaning in the other thread is my trusty Weber Genesis propane grill. Its still going strong. I was amazed at what good condition the innards were in after I cleaned it. It's clean but not THAT clean.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  5. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

How long do you smoke those Hens
    and at what temp?
    Fuel?

6. CJ

1) Approximately 4 hours, obviously give or take.
    2) They're at 250 now but I'll probably crank up the temp at the end if the skin isn't crispy. I've got a timer set for 3 1/2 hours and will evaluate then and throw some asparagus on for the last part.
    3) Cherry wood pellets.

7. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

thanks
    Mikael & I will be by for a bite ;)
    I'll bring the wine Dry Riesling:p

8. CJ

Sounds good :)

9. Rick C

Rick C Member

I was wondering the same thing on how you got a grill, that you use, so clean! I feel a little less inadequate now! :)

10. CJ

Turned out very good. The skin didn't crisp up like it would in a high temp cook but I put it under the broiler before serving and that helped. I'd probably smoke at a higher temp next time. But the meat was amazing. Super moist.

11. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

When I've done turkey on the smoker, sometimes I'll brush on some oil before cranking up the temp for the finish. That can crisp up the skin somewhat. Something similar may work with those too?

12. CJ

Yes, or just "roast" it on the smoker instead of trying to "low & slow" it. Just follow like oven directions, but you're still burning wood so you'll get that wood fired flavor. I did put olive oil and some rub on those.

A lot of people will cook pizza on their pellet smokers because they get that wood fired flavor. You can't get the insane temps you get in an actual wood fired pizza oven of course. Those are typically around 800 degrees F.

13. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

So you cooked chicken on your work at home day? ;):)

14. CJ

Well, I worked too. But long cooks can be a challenge and kind of limit you to weekends.

15. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

I've definitely used the smoker as a very expensive (in terms of fuel) wood pellet oven :)

CJ likes this.
  16. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Those pellet smokers are cool and everyone I know that has a Traeger loves it. I recently discovered that Kelly had one but left it with her ex when she moved out. She has had ribs in the egg and the Traeger and said the egg was better. Which will work fine for the 2 of us, but she has a host of friends and it looks as if I'll inherit a whole social network when we unite. And the egg can't cook enough ribs for a big group. I'm thinking that I could get 6 whole racks in a Traeger 22 (which would feed a dozen adults) and be good to go.

So a pellet smoker may be on the deck soon with all the other stuff.

17. CJ

You can fit a lot on even the smaller units. I could probably get 10 of the smaller boneless pork butts on mine. There's a pro-rack kit for big cooks too.

?format=750w.jpg

18. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

Agree, I occasionally cooked chili on work at home day. The heavy bottom SS Dutch Oven on low on the electric cooktop for 7 hours is perfect to my taste and nothing sticks to the bottom.

19. CJ

Long cooks can be frustrating too though. I've had pork buts stall so bad that people are ready to eat and I'm still off by 20 degrees.

20. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

Mike I've done 6 racks on my Primo Oval XL if you don't want to give up the kamado pluses.