NO Fuc---g hot water !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by claud, Jan 7, 2018.

1. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Woke up this morning---no hot water!! Plenty of cold, but----. It was 4 degrees last night. Why do they install tankless hot water heaters outside???
    Waited all duy for a shower to no avail.
    Called installer and was on hold for 45 minutes. Every poor bastard that opted for a tankless hot water heater in town was calling. Finally got an appointment for Thursday. If the SOB don't thaw out by then, i'll be a stinky sob.
    Tonight wife and I took turns in our tub with hot water and cool water. Better than nothing

2. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Bummer dude.

Tank type for me forever, hehe - :)

I hope it didn't freeze and split?

3. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Sorry to hear....
    But I guess your builder never expected this arctic cold snap
    But taking ice cold showers has never bothered me.

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I kind of want a tankless with 3 girls entering the teenage years. But you'd be out of your mind to mount a water heater outside in Nebraska.

5. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

Years back when I knew it would be needing a hot water heater in the old house (in Northern VA), I looked into them. There were no super close dealers. I did a bit of research and just ended up with a regular tank hot water heater when it was eventually replaces. This site has what appears to be some good info - http://www.chandlerdesignbuild.com/files/fhbDecJan08.pdf

Right now I have solar for my electric (for the house) and solar assisted electric (I think an 80 gallon tank) hot water heater. During hurricane Irma, water went out over night and I had to replace a pump on hot water heater that went after the water went dry. During the sunny warmer weather, the electric basically does almost nothing.

6. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member War Zone Member

No reason to mount the tankless heaters outside unless, there is no way of mounting on an outside wall indoors. Since these also use energy recovery from flue gas the vents have to short and horizontal. The ouside vent has to be at least 3 feet (/) away from any window or door. Same issue is with high efficiency gas heaters. My HVAC room is in the middle of the house great for ducting and piping but but total no-go for high efficient gas fired systems.

7. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Wife texted me by 10:30 this morning. HOT WATER!!
    I need to get some of my pipes wrapped with electrical heaters or something.
    CJ, endless hot water can be yours with a tankless hot water heater. I was told it was the lines running to/from water heater that freeze.

CJ likes this.
  8. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

Yup, it is that time. It is so cold up here that the Housatonic River which is salt water froze from bank to bank!

9. Phil A

Perhaps something along these lines would help? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YWM2I/?tag=homthelou-20

10. Phil A

11. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

Insulation helps but it is not the typical wrap around stuff. Cover the joints as well where they freeze the most. In cold times, having water moving through the pipes also helps. It kind of negates the cost saving but water moving will freeze less than stagnant water. hot and long showers for everyone! Even a hot water drip on a few faucets will keep the water moving in cold days.

Great example. Say you have hot water heat in a room where you have a wood burning stove. Common in the northeast. You crank the stove to get heat and there is no water running through the radiators. Frozen pipes for sure. In the south, it is pure water movement. Lines are not buried deep so you need to move water through the lines in cold weather so they do not freeze. Even a drip will help because you are getting movement through the pipe.

12. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Raychem Tracetek heaters (which I helped invent) are perfect for outdoor water pipes... [/spam]

13. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Crew doing a major residential water main replacement this summer didn't finish before winter. They had 4" temp piping run on sidewalks with garden hoses to each house for at least 10 blocks being fired from fire hydrants. Was several week period where they had residents running water all night to prevent it from freezing and the last week and a bit 24 hrs every day. I can't imagine how much water was wasted.