1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

New Star Trek series....with a catch

Discussion in 'TV Land' started by Randy Rhoton, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

CJ,
    Yes I am really surprised with The Orvile, not what I expected at all. It is real life in a Sci fi setting and it is surprising how well it works.

2. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

One review I read summed up the main reason why I didn't like it: Star Trek is supposed to be about discovery and human nature and positivism, not Mad Max in space. :)

3. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Did some other tban me call it Mad Max in space?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Ah, you did too? Yes, the review in USA Today

5. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

It's got potential, but needs to lighten up. Orville is much closer to Trek TOS. Much too dark in more ways then one for a first episode. And who did the Klingon makeup? The guy who did the O.J. Simpson cover for Time magazine? Too much CGI FX, not enough plot development. But since I don't stream anything, this is the only one I'll likely ever see.

Max Yokell and DYohn like this.
  6. murrayb

murrayb Active Member War Zone Member

Orville has surprised me with how good it is. A pleasant surprise.

The new Star Trek is spectacular. Loved the first two episodes.

CJ likes this.
  7. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

I enjoyed Discovery, but I also liked Enterprise...it definitely needs some character development for sure, some of them seem to struggle with the terminology ever so slightly. The Klingons they need to adjust the teeth of the makeup, the speech is so hard to understand. It's dark like Enterprise, not 'shiny' like Next Generation, it's interesting and I'm intrigued by the story line because the really have not covered this period much.
    Oh and the girlfriend called the weapons officer (tall dude with blue eyes) the "Sheldon" of Star Trek, totally, LoL

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

The first episode held my attention really well. The second not as much. Made me think we were just going to get something too much like the JJ Abrams movies, style and action over compelling plot. Then the second episode was over and previewed what was to come. The preview was starkly different than the first two episodes. Having just finished the 3rd episode, wow. This is starting to dramatically exceed expectations.

9. nolan

nolan New Member

The show is surprisingly good so far. I'm sure that hardcore fans have stuff to criticize but as a casual viewer, this is pretty enjoyable!