1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

New Sony 55" 4K Display on the way

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Jay Brown, May 24, 2017.

1. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I have researched, waited, researched some more, focused on other projects, but the big update has finally come. I pulled the trigger on a Sony XBR55X900E 4k Display coming from Dell. It should arrive in a week or 2.

This particular model was a late-comer in the list of displays I had. The XBR55x850D was at the top of the list, along with the Samsung 55 and 60 Inch 8000 series.

Vizio has some nice sells on their site, especially the M-Series with the XLED Plus technology, which is supposed to be Vizio's version of Samsung's QLED I'm guessing.

After reading very positive reviews, including the Youtube video from Rtings.com regarding the display, I decided to go with the Sony.

The only real shortcoming is the lack of the X1 Extreme Processor which allows for future Dolby Vision Updates in the future. Not a deal breaker for me.

This display runs Android TV, which I'm very familiar with through the Nvidia Shield, but the Shield will be the focal point of my system. New HDMI Cables, new Receiver, and the Shield will allow me to access 4K /HDR Content.

Now my plans were to upgrade my Subwoofer during the summer, but that can wait. I'm also still looking into the Oppo 203 for UHD Content, but considering I only own one UHD Release, and stream most of my movies, the Oppo may have to wait as well. Vudu may suffice considering that they support Atmos for audio.

Can't wait!!

2. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Cool. Sounds like you'll have one helluva display

3. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

Sounds great. I have a 55 inch 4k Sony (850C) in one system (use a UDP-203 in that one).

4. Jay Brown

Thank you. Phil, how is your experience with the UDP-203? Over at AVS, there are alot of owners installing Beta Firmware updates, and it's a mixed bag of issues for some, but not for all.

5. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

I really, really like my Sony 4K. Great choice.

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Enjoy. What's funny for me is I have a 4K TV in my living room due to upgrade timing but no 4K display in my home theater at this time.

7. Phil A

Jay - it has issues (mine was sent back once - display was blank and will need to be sent back again as I believe the network card is bad - wireless works). Sometimes things will have a blank screen during a movie for a couple of seconds and sometimes you'll get an occasional momentary freeze. I only really use it for video. I now have 5 UHD Blu-Rays - got 'Logan' yesterday and will watch it sometime over the next several days.

Certainly not glitch free like earlier models. I wanted one system for 4K and also a back-up 3D system. So I got the Sony TV and the Oppo and had an old Marantz 6003 (which I moved to a guest room) and got a Marantz 5010. I'm probably going to see/hear the 205 in the next week or so as a few of us are going over someone's house who just got one. I have not installed anything except official updates.

8. Jay Brown

Thanks for the information. I hate that you had to send it back.

I just double-checked the measurements of this new display and one thing I had to take into consideration was the decrease in bezels on these newer displays within the last 10 years. My current 46 inch screen has a thick bezel with a speaker taking up the bottom of the TV. The new display, while much larger, gains much more real estate for the display, while the speaker is built-in to the display, rather than taking up space at the bottom or sides. Another thing I'm looking forward to is the reduction in heat given off by the display. Currently my TV can increase the temperature in the living room by 3 degrees, causing the AC to turn on, and it was something I took into consideration last summer when my AC unit was failing, but I had a stroke, and everything took a back seat.

This is an FALD Display and to be honest, this was far off my list considering the choices I had earlier, which did not have this Tech. FALD is available on all X900E display sizes. OLED, still out of the question but the Tech produces such an excellent image.

I thought about getting a TV Mount, but not for the wall, but one that can stand on my current TV Stand, elevating the display a few inches. Considering this will be a jump in size for my viewing, we will see if the display could use some elevation.

I may place the original Sony upstairs in my bedroom, but that thing is heavy. 80 lbs and the new 55 inch hovers around 60.

9. Phil A

Sorry to hear about the stroke. You can get a TV Riser (e.g. Amazon.com: OFC Express TV Stand 36 x 14 x 5.25, Black: Electronics)

My TV sits on a shelf between Salamander Synergy furniture towers. In my old house, I had this furniture in the main system with a projector. Only used the center shelf for the center channel. I bought a wider shelf for a 50 inch TV that fit between the towers and I had the shelf lower. Then I decided to get the 4K TV and just raised the shelf so that the sides of the TV are above the towers on the side.
    Backup 2 May 17.JPG

10. Carl V

ya shoulda bought the next model up in the PJ line up.;)
    3D,4K, UHD etc., etc., what were you thinking:p?

This summer I might be getting a new whiz bang PJ
    Panny AE8000 will be re purposed.

Jay how are you doing with the PT etc.,

CJ likes this.
  11. Jay Brown

Doing well, 2 weeks into resistance training, BP and heart rate at normal levels for my age. Balance improvement seems to have peaked but I believe improvement in strength can enhance that.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

CJ likes this.
  12. Carl V

13. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

I've always liked XBRs! Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay Brown likes this.
  14. Jay Brown

Still a nice TV but the clouding and heat this thing gives off shows its age.

Displaying higher quality videos from YouTube and Vimeo via the Shield makes for a really impressive image considering this is a 10 year old television.

Looking forward to better black levels and improved contrast. 3306efefd0cfe5590d5f76b7861f944b.jpg

CJ likes this.
  15. Jay Brown

TV is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, which means I have to take the beast down, take it to a bar and let him know the truth. I'll probably put the 46inch upstairs (yea, ok) and hook it up to my system in the bedroom.

16. Jay Brown

Came in today. Coworker helped me load it into my car. The box was very light.

Unboxing it was the typical chore or styrofoam, plastic bags, screws and papers, but simple. Taking down the old 46, sheesh...... But humbling. The 55" is much lighter, and although the display is thin, there is a section towards the bottom,where all the connections are located, where the display get thicker. The dimensions are almost similar to the 46", but now with more screen real estate.

Getting the TV connected is an Android TV process much similar to what I did with the Nvidia Shield and Google Nexus Player. You can use your phone or tablet to configure the OS, and gain access to your Google account through a pin code.
    There is an Update and it appears to be a big one. Right now I'm connected via 802.11ac 5ghz, and there is an ethernet port available, but I don't want to to disrupt the update.

I haven't connected anything to it yet, just want to get the update installed, then connect the Marantz and Shield. So far so good. cc0a4e0528f0ac0fd8abf9742f68a08d.jpg 6b84edb7422b31ee43f881bf8fe98c89.jpg 9c0e11a422e31dbd2b6030b855932d7e.jpg 297d5e515ade4077376a44a870714268.jpg

17. Phil A

Jay congrats - I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

18. Jay Brown

I'm coming from a KDL46V2500 display from the mid 2000s so there's a stark contrast between the two displays regarding not only size, but tech as well. While both displays are similar in size, I gained a lot of real estate display-wise, so that will take some time getting used to. I may need to elevate the display because now it looks low on my stand considering the mount of screen I gained. The older 46" is much heavier and it was a struggle to get it off my stand, but the 900e was much lighter and more manageable.

I have an Nvidia Shield and Nexus Player, so Android TV is a familiar interface to deal with, but I will say that the Shield's interface is much better than on the 900E. It's fast, smoother, and transitions between apps is faster. Setting up Android TV is similar to that of the Shield and Nexus Player. You can use your phone or tablet to access your Google Account using a PIN. Once that information is entered (considering you have connected the TV to Wifi or your home network prior to this set up) your user credentials and video preferences, mainly from Youtube will appear. Apps installed on other devices will not install.

Having the display connected to a Marantz SR 7010, Nvidia Shield, and Harmony Ultimate remote, connecting these devices were pretty seemless. I have the weekend to really spend more time with the set up, so I'll need to research more information regarding scaling and processing, and which device will do most of this work.

At first the AVR was connected to the TV via HDMI 1, but after researching more about the inputs I learned that 2 and 3 had full bandwidth compared to the other ports. I moved the Cable to HDMI 3/ARC, which is on the left-hand side of the display, and damaged one of my cables because it was too short. Luckily I had a cable that was long enough but I do not believe it is an HDMI 2.0 cable, which was the case with the damaged one. For what it's worth, I was able to gain access to more HDMI settings on the TV, but again, research.

HDR, yea I had to turn it off for a while. This feature is very new to me. Not having your settings to where they need to be really caused the image of most of my content, which are 1080p 1:1 BD Rips via Plex and XPMC to be over saturated. Live TV which is OTA, was just as bad, and the SD sub channels, no comment. I watched a few clips of the 4K feed "House of Cards" on Netflix, and Claire was green. I didn't want to use the settings from my 46" but with the exceptions of Brightness and Contrast, other settings are relatively close.

Once I got the settings to where I needed them, I then turned on HDR just to view a few videos from Netflix, Amazon Instant, Youtube, and Vimeo. Great stuff, colorful, highly detailed, and very smooth. Some settings I will like to work on this weekend is Black Levels, contrast, and Brightness. Compared to the 46" which was a flash light in comparison, the black levels, were a huge improvement. I watched the first few minutes of 2001: A Space Odyssey, and it looked as if the TV was turned off, and I could only hear the Orchestra playing. That was not the case with the 46". The Matte Paintings in the background of "The Dawn of Man" on the new TV really exploited those paint brush strokes compared to the older display.

I watched the first 2 quarters of the NBA Finals last night, and the Warriors' white uniforms really popped on the screen. There were some issue with motion. I have access to two ABC Affiliates, and one of them always had compression issues, considering the other two subchannels this station is part of. The other ABC affiliate has one subchannel that is not in use, but the image and motion were always clearer.

I would like to try out Vudu, now that I have access to 4K. I already had Atmos set up, but could not access any of the content coming from Vudu unless I had a 4K display.

Overall I'm impressed with the display. The main interface is the Nvidia Shield and this combination works great thus far. I will do more research on HDR content and settings, as I'm not a big on having it run on every thing that I watch.

19. Phil A

I still have not fully tweaked or looked an tons of stuff on mine (over-the-air looks good though_. Between the lightning damage (elsewhere else, having to send my UDP-203 back once for a bad display board and probably soon for the network board) and other things, I have not watch any 4K content except for the UHD discs. Once I watch 'Logan' which I have sitting around, I'll probably send it back in. Was glad to have the bedroom system back together (Epson 8350 projector) and watched the game last night. For a bit I had nothing in the bedroom (lightning took the receiver, HDMI cable, one of the HDMI inputs on the projector and 32 inch Vizio I had in there). I bought a Samsung 40 inch TV and had been using it for a bit but vs. the 92 inch screen and the projector it just wasn't the same.