Netgear Orbi?

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Chris Slade, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I currently have the latest Airport extreme and about 4 expresses. I am having a load of trouble with wifi.

We have a lot of things that connect to the network. 2 appleTV, 7 thermostats, 2 smoke detectors, 3 ipads, 2 game consoles, 2 phones, probably a few other things I am forgetting.

I am really not positive that just the network is the issue, I may have an ISP issue as well. I started researching a replacement router. The Netgear Orbi, seems like it would be a good fit. Anyone using these or a similar device. I can't hard wire between the two stations, so that negative for the Orbi does not matter to me.

This device seems like a better option than my extreme and express extenders. I may still leave an express on the netwrok for down by the lake. Surprisingly the trend-net thing and express that are farthest from the house seem to be the most stable stuff I have.

All firmware is up to date.

2. Chris Slade

I am going to pick this up today, set it up, if it doesn't work well I'll return it. I never return things, but this stuff isn't cheap.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

Can you run ethernet between locations where you would want to locate the access points? If so I highly recommend you consider using Ubiquiti access points for WiFi and just let your extreme do the network routing (i.e. turn WiFi off). The AC-Lite's are about $115 each. They'd have a much wider reach than your express units so you wouldn't need as many to cover your space.

4. Chris Slade

I cannot really run that cable. Nothing is impossible, be it is very not easy. If it works great, if not it goes back.

Basically think of the house as having three floors. On the lowest floor basically in the middle of the home is the modem (fiber). Currently there is an Ethernet cable run to the center top floor. That is where the extreme is. Then there are three expresses in the house and one down at the lake at the other end of a trendnet dothingy point to point extender which works well. The trendnet and lakeside express stay ( express in client mode, not extending network, basically just using the audio outputs.

I hope to put one orbi up where the current extreme is, which is where my tv home theater area is, and the other orbi on the lower floor where the xbox one and Nintendo switch are.

I looked at the hardware you mention, and orbi does not (cannot currently) run the back channel over ethernet, which is a downside for some. Given that my intent is not to do that, I'll give this a try.

5. Chris Slade

Really wifi pisses me off. It is time that someone or multiple someones came out with a proper system that just works and gives good coverage. The days of wifi being cool and for network geeks etc. are long gone. Every person who comes to my house wants to get on a network. It is just an expected thing in any home with school aged children in my mind. I am tired of resetting hardware blah blah blah, it's crap.

I don't want to torrent, use wifi for anything sketchy, I just want all of the standard smart devices in my home to work all of the time, with little effort on my part.

6. Chris Slade

Final comment is this stuff is expensive, I wish it wasn't.

7. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

I agree with Andrew. Find someone around you that can get you a site survey, roll out some higher level gear (low side Ubiquiti or high side Meraki) and call it a day.

8. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I've been pleased with my Eero setup. Fixed all of my problems that previous multiple extender AP and single big router attempts failed to fix.

9. Chris Slade

IMG_0141.PNG Well I went from not being able to connect to this.

10. Chris Slade

Top two percent of country, with my iPad as far away from an Orbi as I could get.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  11. Chris Slade

This thing is still working good, only been a few days, but no complaints yet.

12. Andrew Pratt

Good to hear that you found a workable solution.

13. Chris Slade

Could not be happier with this. Well worth the money to eliminate the headaches. Apple networking is dead to me, which I think is their intent.

14. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, I moved away from Apple routers a few years ago. As speed increases it seems that coverage and ability to penetrate multiple walls/floors is reduced. As wi-fi becomes faster and faster and internet speeds increase in general, mesh systems are going to become more the norm to cover an entire home. I've been happier with my Eero than any wireless system I've owned recently.

Apple doesn't seem to want to play in this space and isn't the only company with "lifestyle friendly" network gear so I don't see the need for them to continue making routers.

What I WOULD like is for them to release a new damn Mac Mini. The last one was released in 2014 and was a step down at the top end as they eliminated a 4-core option from the lineup.

15. RJ

RJ Member

I'm a fan of the Plume mesh network. You have more "pods" around the house, but less channel congestion.

16. Chris Slade

All I can add is that from a typical non network type guy user perspective is that mesh networking seems to work really well. I have not rebooted any Netgear equipment since I installed it, speeds are good to very good and it all just seems to work. No reason to really think that other brands of equipment would also not work well.

CJ likes this.
  17. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

The Best Wi-Fi Mesh-Networking Kits for Most People

Wirecutter choose the Orbi with the Eero a close second. Looks like they are getting these things sorted out to work well, from the experience here and the more recent reviews. They'll be the answer for anyone who doesn't want to deal with setup, config or wiring issues and is ok with the cost.

I just ordered a full Ubiquiti setup. Edgemax X-sfp and 3 LR APs. Total will be about $440 CAD. Hopefully I don't regret the decision as I try and figure out the ins and outs of configuring these. Got my parents the same thing (bought 2 routers and a 5 pack of the APs). I plan to have a VPN between them setup with a Synology NAS on each end syncing a couple folders with each other for offsite backup not dependant on any 3rd party. If that works well any configuration pain will be worth it to me.

18. Andrew Pratt

You won't...it's solid gear and easy to configure.

19. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

I'm not worried about the APs at all, it's the Edgemax that will be more interesting. To get the VPN working off a free hosting service will require installing and configuring OpenVPN on it. Among other things this will require creating and moving around SSL certs from a command line interface.

20. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member War Zone Member

Actually just saw this today. Had mine since last November and love it. I was struggling with speeds and whole home coverage with Airports. My Orbi (w/ satellite) covers my second floor to my basement and yard with full speed. I am streaming all my media in my home now without a hiccup.