1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Need to buy a new camera kit... help

Discussion in 'The Photography Lounge' started by Chris Slade, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member

No call from the camera shop today. Placing an order for the body and another lens tonight online, most likely amazon.

It is a shame but in my area specialty retailers are a waste of time. And Best Buy does not have a single Olympus item in stock locally.

2. Chris Slade

Bingo

Attached Files:

3. Chris Slade

Just need a camera now.....

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Damn, go big or go home.

Interesting lens selection though. No "normal" zoom or did you buy a body with the kit lens?

5. Chris Slade

No kit lens. A work lens, wide. A hockey lens, long. Can always add glass.

6. Chris Slade

I guess I am missing some range in between lenses there. Like I said I bought the two lenses for two specific uses. I guess the question is will I notice the gap in between. I am guessing that I won't. But that has nothing to do with me possibly buying another lens, should the system start getting some reasonable use.

CJ what is in your tote for lenses?

7. CJ

My walking around lens is the 25mm f/1.8. Don't buy another lens yet though. Hold off and see what your needs are.

8. Chris Slade

Camera is ordered and on the way, will receive it next week. Wanted the silver body, but could not get it, all black. Ordered from my old online source. I haven't made a purchase since 2008, that was all Canon DSLR gear.

9. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

As an owner of four Nikon's, I think they will be the one to crash and burn. Not because they make bad products but Canon owns the sports photography market. Watch any sports event and Canon is all over it. Both Canon and Nikon made a big play to capture market share in the hobbyist and casual shooter market which is now being gobbled up by cell phones.

10. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

My impression was that Canon was the brand for lens-junkies. White telephoto lenses, the red L stripe. A good friend of mine does a lot of buying/selling of camera gear and in addition to making money, he's always got a good set of gear around. He's one of those guys that will go on a vacation trip to take pictures with $50K+ worth of camera gear. Last couple of times I've seen him he's had an 800mm worth $10K (used), and a 50mm F1.0 worth $5K (used). He has mentioned that he sees a lot less people looking to buy/sell Nikon vs. Canon over the past couple of years.

If I had to put money down, I'd agree with Greg -- Nikon seems to be the one who'd die first.

11. Chris Slade

It's here

IMG_1018.JPG

CJ likes this.
  12. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

Cool, very Om 1 like. Nikon did a version to model after the FM serious film cameras to differentiate from the current models. It is nice but they also make like 50 different versions of the cool pics cheapie's. They definitely went downscale.

13. Chris Slade

I played with the camera last night, it is nice in the hand and seems like well built stuff. The settings are all menu driven and seem a little cumbersome, I think the learning curve for me is going to be a bit steep. It's been a long time since I used a decent camera, but at least from memory my Canon DSLR gear seemed like it was easier to use. Hopefully that changes when I spend some time with the camera.

This weekend I'll take some before pictures of my back yard landscaping project and hopefully by the time I am ready to take the after shots I'll know what I am doing. Lightroom included.

14. Chris Slade

For example I fooled with the camera for a few minutes and could not find out how to change the ISO.

15. CJ

There are two ways. Press the OK button to bring up something called the super menu... I forget what its called but something dumb like that. It brings up like 10-12 most popular settings in a grid. Second way is look to the right of the viewfinder. There's a switch that has a 1 and 2 position. It allows you to use the 2 mode dials for 4 things. For example in aperture priority mode with that little switch set to 1 they control aperture and exposure compensation. In position 2 they control white balance and ISO.

Also you can change what those dials do which for me is more useful if you came from another camera system that had similar dials and lets say on Canon the front one is aperture and the rear one is exposure comp (not saying it is, I don't remember) you can set the Olympus dials the same, even if that isn't the out of the box default.

16. Chris Slade

Thanks CJ. I found that menu this evening at the rink. I had to go into a menu and enable that menu, which is simply a must. Then it dawned on me, that those dials must do it and they do.

The body came with a disc containing the manual, at home I have no optical drive. Kinda of a pain. I really like paper manuals. I'll probably print the PDF and put it in a binder.

17. CJ

Yeah, let me know if anything else isn't obvious. Olympus takes a lot of grief for their menus but I don't mind them. Its actually not the menus themselves IMO, its that everything is so configurable. You can't have it both ways.

18. Chris Slade

I also messed around a bit with the digital tele converter... jury is still out on that.

Overall I got some decent, but not great shots tonight. A poorly lit rink is a bad place to take a brand new camera.

19. Chris Slade

I basically want iOS simplicity with full customization being available.

20. CJ

I would set ISO to auto, max 6400, then use shutter priority and play with the slowest you can get and freeze action (between 1/250 and 1/500 probably).