My Martin Logan Theater

Discussion in 'Picture Show' started by Seth70, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Seth70

Seth70 New Member

Thanks Jack.;)

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Sweet! :tu:

ML's aren't to my taste, but I can understand why they are for others.

3. Seth70

Seth70 New Member

Thanks Phil.;)

So far I'm really liking the Marantz. The first few weeks using it I had a hard time warming up to it, as I was just so used to my Denon AVP (used it for 5+ years). The sound is a bit different than I was used to hearing on the AVP, but then again the AVP is in a whole other league design and build wise.

The "only" reason I changed pre/pro's is because the AVP was not able to correct a lip sync issue I was having with 3D Blu-ray's. Apparently due to the new TV's needing to upscale the 3D, the extra processing results in a bit of an audio mismatch when the audio from the Blu-ray player is sent to an AVR or pre/pro. The Denon AVP has a manual audio delay function, but it wasn't able to correct it. My AVP is not upgraded, so it does not allow 3D pass-through. So I had to connect the Oppo using one HDMI to the TV, and the second HDMI out to the AVP.

I don't know if things would have worked had my AVP been upgraded to allow for 3D pass-through. I guess I'll never know.

The Marantz AV8801 is fully up to date with all the newest technology, with things like 3D pass-through, 4K pass-through, 4K upscaling, Audyssey XT32, 11.2 channel capability, etc. So I took a chance and ordered one, and thankfully it worked! Now every 3D Blu-ray I've played has stayed in sync.:) And for movie watching, the AV8801 does a really fine job! I do miss many features that the AVP has, like a dedicated transducer pre-out, the ability to have different audio and video settings on each input, a separate 2 channel audio set up menu, fully balanced design, and Denon Link. But for what I'm able to do now, the trade off is ok.

As for 2 channel music listening, during the limited time I've actually spent listening to music through the AV8801, it sounds really good. I still think my AVP sounds better, but since the AVP isn't able to do what I need for 3D, there's no point in putting it back. So it looks like the AV8801 is staying put.

Seth

4. Seth70

Seth70 New Member

Thanks Dan.;)

Yeah, electrostats aren't for everyone. And if not set up properly, they can sound quite flat. They require a lot of breathing room (especially the mains), so at least 3 feet of space between the speaker and the wall is a must. The back surrounds and center were designed to be wall mounted, so they do great for effects. Having used ML's for about 12 years now, I have really learned a lot about placement. And now I wouldn't own any other brand of speaker.:)

Seth

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2013
  5. Bill Stratton

Bill Stratton Active Member

Very nice, clean, well laid out set-up! I bet it looks and sounds terrific!

6. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Dang! 84 inches! Color me impressed. And thanks for showing us the new Marantz. Gives me something to consider should the day come I need (or more likely want) to change up from the Ref.50.

7. Seth70

Seth70 New Member

Thanks Bill.;)

8. Seth70

Seth70 New Member

Thanks Randy.;)

Yep, it's a HUGE TV! And even though it's really large, the screen size doesn't take long to get used to.:) So far I'm really enjoying the Marantz, it has tons of decoding options, has the ability to do 11.2, 4K pass-through, 3D pass-through, Audyssey XT32. To sum it up, it's loaded! Plus it sounds really good.:)