1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

My Martin Logan Theater

Discussion in 'Picture Show' started by Seth70, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Seth70

Seth70 New Member

Thanks Jack.;)

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Sweet! :tu:

ML's aren't to my taste, but I can understand why they are for others.

3. Seth70

Seth70 New Member

Thanks Phil.;)

So far I'm really liking the Marantz. The first few weeks using it I had a hard time warming up to it, as I was just so used to my Denon AVP (used it for 5+ years). The sound is a bit different than I was used to hearing on the AVP, but then again the AVP is in a whole other league design and build wise.

The "only" reason I changed pre/pro's is because the AVP was not able to correct a lip sync issue I was having with 3D Blu-ray's. Apparently due to the new TV's needing to upscale the 3D, the extra processing results in a bit of an audio mismatch when the audio from the Blu-ray player is sent to an AVR or pre/pro. The Denon AVP has a manual audio delay function, but it wasn't able to correct it. My AVP is not upgraded, so it does not allow 3D pass-through. So I had to connect the Oppo using one HDMI to the TV, and the second HDMI out to the AVP.

I don't know if things would have worked had my AVP been upgraded to allow for 3D pass-through. I guess I'll never know.

The Marantz AV8801 is fully up to date with all the newest technology, with things like 3D pass-through, 4K pass-through, 4K upscaling, Audyssey XT32, 11.2 channel capability, etc. So I took a chance and ordered one, and thankfully it worked! Now every 3D Blu-ray I've played has stayed in sync.:) And for movie watching, the AV8801 does a really fine job! I do miss many features that the AVP has, like a dedicated transducer pre-out, the ability to have different audio and video settings on each input, a separate 2 channel audio set up menu, fully balanced design, and Denon Link. But for what I'm able to do now, the trade off is ok.

As for 2 channel music listening, during the limited time I've actually spent listening to music through the AV8801, it sounds really good. I still think my AVP sounds better, but since the AVP isn't able to do what I need for 3D, there's no point in putting it back. So it looks like the AV8801 is staying put.

Seth

4. Seth70

Seth70 New Member

Thanks Dan.;)

Yeah, electrostats aren't for everyone. And if not set up properly, they can sound quite flat. They require a lot of breathing room (especially the mains), so at least 3 feet of space between the speaker and the wall is a must. The back surrounds and center were designed to be wall mounted, so they do great for effects. Having used ML's for about 12 years now, I have really learned a lot about placement. And now I wouldn't own any other brand of speaker.:)

Seth

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2013
  5. Bill Stratton

Bill Stratton New Member

Very nice, clean, well laid out set-up! I bet it looks and sounds terrific!

6. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Dang! 84 inches! Color me impressed. And thanks for showing us the new Marantz. Gives me something to consider should the day come I need (or more likely want) to change up from the Ref.50.

7. Seth70

Seth70 New Member

Thanks Bill.;)

8. Seth70

Seth70 New Member

Thanks Randy.;)

Yep, it's a HUGE TV! And even though it's really large, the screen size doesn't take long to get used to.:) So far I'm really enjoying the Marantz, it has tons of decoding options, has the ability to do 11.2, 4K pass-through, 3D pass-through, Audyssey XT32. To sum it up, it's loaded! Plus it sounds really good.:)