1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

My Martin Logan Theater

Discussion in 'Picture Show' started by Seth70, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Seth70

Seth70 New Member

Thanks for the kind words.:)

2. Seth70

Seth70 New Member

My Denon A1UDCI has finally arrived!!

I have been wanting this player ever since I first learned about its development last year, and now after a very long wait I finally have one.:)

This player is as good as it gets for both PQ and sound. As much as I loved my 2500BTCI, this player is in another league! The images from Blu-ray's have a dimensionality and extra detail that makes the 2500BTCI look flat by comparison. Listening to CD's via the balanced XLR's, using the players 32 bit AKM DAC's, is a real treat! My Sony XA20ES CD player has been my reference player for years, but the A1 edges it out.

So far the A1 is very impressive!

Here's some pics.

DenonA1UDCIboxopen.jpg

DenonA1UDCIoutofbox.jpg

DenonA1UDCIoutofbox2.jpg

DenonA1UDCIbackpanelwithcables.jpg

DenonA1UDCIopentray.jpg

DenonA1UDCIfullwithopentray.jpg

DenonA1UDCIfrontdisplay.jpg

DenonA1UDCIwith2500BTCI.jpg

3. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

Why did you use XLRs?

Glad you're happy Seth!

4. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
  5. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

I have heard that it only matters on long cable runs. In fact that's the mantra of another forum. Is that true?

And just because a component has XLRs for input or output doesn't necessarily mean that the component is balanced. Do they do this to take advantage of the unwary?

6. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

I have been told that unless you can get all the way from the source to the amp with balanced don't bother. In my case, my cd player has xlr outs, my pre/pro has both ins and outs, but my amp does not have the inputs, so I would have to go back to single ended (rca) for that run, and doing so would negate any gains I made earlier in the run. So I didn't buy any xlr interconnects.

7. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Noise generated within the cable would still benefit, TTBOMK.

And again TTBOMK, long runs do benefit more than shorter runs.

8. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

So should one use them if they're available?

9. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

A cable, being passive, would probably generate very little noise. A balanced cable is likely to pick up less environmental noise than a single-ended cable.

:)

10. Saurav

I would say, yes. At worst, you're no better off than single-ended. Depending on the design at either end, it only has the potential to be better. This is assuming there isn't something totally broken in the balanced design in some component, of course.

11. Saurav

That's one possibility :) IMO, the big advantage of an XLR cable is a separate shield (with RCA, the shield is the ground/negative signal connector). So even if the input isn't balanced, it's still likely that the shield connector goes straight to earth, bypassing the signal circuitry. So you gain the advantage of not dumping any RFI that got picked up by the cable into the signal's ground.

Like I said, there's a potential for improvement. Whether you'll actually hear a difference or not depends on many other factors :)

12. Saurav

Might as well add a 4th post while I'm at it...

13. Seth70

Seth70 New Member

Thanks Artie.:)

The reason I used the XLR's is because the player had them and I have been wanting to use the stereo XLR inputs on my Denon AVP pre/pro ever since I got it a year and a half ago. My Sony CDP-XA20ES doesn't have an XLR out option, so I've always wanted to have a player that did.

I did a test on the A1UDCI comparing the stereo RCA outs with the XLR's. As everyone probably guessed, they both sounded excellent! But the presentation of sound was very different. Sound through the RCA outs was more forward. It wasn't bright or harsh in any way, but the whole soundfield was more up front. Sound using the XLR's had a more laid back sound that was smoother and silkier. It could almost be described as having a touch of warmth.

I liked the way both sounded, but could probably spend more listening time using the XLR's over the RCA's. But it's really just a matter of preference.

Seth

14. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

I am so jealous. You did a wonderful job with your theater. I really admire the new player. As mentioned before I have the Denon transport you have, but just could not move up to the universal player. If it is that much better than the 2500, I am really sad I did not go ahead and spring for the big one. Having said that, I do like the image from BR discs on the 2500 very very much.

15. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

Thanks Seth, that's interesting.

16. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Seth:

I am puzzled that the RCAs and balanced interconnects sounded so different. Where they otherwise the same cables (i.e., same manufacturer, same materials, etc.)?

17. Seth70

Seth70 New Member

Thank you for the kind words.;)

Yes I agree, the 2500 is an excellent Blu-ray player, and one that will continue to be used in my setup (as a region B player). It has proven itself to be totally issue free, and delivers a superb high def picture. And if I was only looking for excellent PQ along with SACD/DVD-A capability, and wasn't concerned about fully balanced 2 channel XLR outs and Denon Link, I probably would have looked into getting the new Oppo. But for me I wanted the best player I could get regardless of price that had everything I wanted, and that player happened to be the A1UDCI.

Seth

18. Seth70

Seth70 New Member

You're welcome.;)

The cables "might" be a factor in the overall sound. The XLR's are Audioquest Columbia with 72v DBS system, and the single ended interconnects are Outlaw PCA's.

19. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

I daresay that is the reason they sound so different, not because one is RCA and the other XLR.

20. Seth70

Seth70 New Member

After wanting ML speakers as rear surrounds for some time, I finally got me some.:) I got a great deal on some Scripts, so I took down the Paradigm Mini Monitors that were on the rear wall and replaced them with the Scripts.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the sound.

ML-Scripts-angle-3.png

Seth