1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

My bachelor pad apartment theater

Discussion in 'Picture Show' started by Steven Kephart, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart New Member

Yep, that was me. :)

I've got several coats of polyeurethane on them. Do you think this will still be a problem? :huh:

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Speaker positioning is always a series of trade offs. I would suspect you could get a deeper, more 3-D soundstage and probably better imaging with some breathing room, but as you already know, then the bass would change. And don't ignore the impact that has on the entire balance of the speaker. The important thing IMO is to experiment and not just plunk them down.

3. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

Especially fun with heavy spiked speakers on carpet. :)

I agree but there are certain guidelines which should get you close and then you can play with toe in the tighten stuff up too.

Max

4. CJ

Yeah, its very useful to have help. When Carl came by to visit, he helped setup my Gallo's and it made a massive difference.

5. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

With the emphasis on "always."

6. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Corner loading is often an excellent location for speakers, especially in a small room.

7. Steven Kephart

Ok, I added some new furniture and thought I would share.

Here's the sub enclosure finally finished:
    226472_1736881697410_1099622372_31477231_5566642_n.jpg

Here's the new equipment shelving I made:
    PB130001.jpg
    PB130002.jpg

And here's the DVD shelving I built:
    PB130003.jpg
    PB130004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2011
  8. Stefan

Stefan Active Member War Zone Member

Excellent workmanship. Just out of curiosity, why is the TV on the floor? I figured at the beginning of thread maybe you were just getting started. But it's been 3 years :).

Stefan

9. CJ

He's a bachelor. If he doesn't have it on the floor he loses his card. Maybe a milk crate?

10. Steven Kephart

I use the wall for the projection screen and don't want anything blocking it. My final plan is to have the tv in the center and the center speaker sitting on a shelf just above it. I'm building the shelf right now.

11. Steven Kephart

Here's a quick picture of how it looks with both screens on. I'll try to take a better picture with a better movie in the future. But this gives you an idea of why my small TV is on the floor.

IMG_0780.jpg

12. Steven Kephart

Ok, here's a better picture of how the screens are set up.

IMG_0046.jpg