1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Mac / Photos Help Needed

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by DustinDavis, Sep 21, 2017.

1. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Recently I started constantly getting warnings on my MacBook Air about the hard drive almost being full. This despite clearing so much stuff from it. iTunes library and content on an external drive. Photos libraries on an external drive. I've configured Photos to use the library on the external drive as well.

Still, when I right-click the local hard drive on the MBA (120 GB SSD), it shows Photos is taking up 92 Gb. That explains why the disk would be almost full--except those Photos are in a library on an external drive, not the local drive. Right?! I can't figure out what is going on. Why is Mac OS apparently telling me that a photo library on an external drive still counts against my local hard drive space?

It's getting so that this is unusable since I'm down to < a few hundred Mb. I am using iCloud, and I do have Photos configured to "Download Originals to this Mac". However my understanding is that any photos would still be stored in that library on the external drive and therefore not take up space on my main HD.

2. DustinDavis

Also if I sum the 4 main folders in the HD: Applications, Library, System, and Users, I get a total of 58.71 Gb. I think I have 61 Gb free on this drive. What the heck.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Not sure because 1) I've never had a similar issue where the hard drive space seems to contradict what I know I've done as far as moving files around and 2) I don't use iPhoto. I would recommend taking it to the Apple Store. Bring your external drives along. You get simple help desk style service like that as part of the purchase price. You've already paid for it. Use it.

4. DustinDavis

CJ thanks for the reply. I did find there is a hidden folder called Caches under the ~Library, and deleting those files got me about 8-10 Gb. Another query from terminal appears to be telling me there is a Spotlight folder with search indices taking up 40 Gb! I haven't looked closer at this and don't have time tonight but I will let y'all know.

5. DustinDavis

Sure enough, Spotlight search indices was the culprit. I went to the Privacy tab in Spotlight under System Preferences and added my local hard drive to the exclusion list. Pow--regained 39-40 Gb. 40 Gb index on a 120 Gb drive! I don't even understand how it could grow to this point. Anyhow I also removed "Other" from the file types to index, and then removed my local hard drive from the exclusion list. We will see how big the index gets upon re-indexing. Unfortunately I did not find a way to figure out which types of indices, or which locations, were specifically causing the bloat.

6. DustinDavis

So, upon re-indexing I'm all out of space again, but for the savings from deleting Caches. So Spotlight indexing is up to 40 Gb again and is a real problem. Ridiculous.

7. DustinDavis

I managed to fix this by removing categories to index until it was small enough. I think the "images" cache was the biggest issue. Anyhow it is down to like 1 Gb. Thanks for the help.

8. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Glad you got it fixed. It still puzzles me. I guess I have no idea how large my spotlight index is but I've never had a similar "where did all my drive space go" issue.