1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Kiezan Foam

Discussion in 'DIY Lounge' started by Dustin B, May 28, 2017.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member

Jesus, I am embarrassed to post a picture to the drawers of my tools. Maybe I'll do it for a laugh. I bought a bunch of NewAge Pro cabinets etc. last year. It is nice looking stuff, by the stuff did not help me get organized.

2. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member

Jeff to you clean your tools before you put them away? They seem pretty damn clean for a guy who does the kind of stuff I think you do.

3. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

Yes, I wipe my tools down before they go into the box. I use CRC Ultra Lite 3-36 and a shop rag. If I don't have that I use WD-40. But, I try to keep the CRC around. The set on the bottom right is new. They others are much older. And those are all SAE. My metric stuff is a drawer down.

4. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Those knives that have been sitting there for years gathering dust now have a cover;

35040299666_a833e50a75_o.jpg

Took me hours. Cut the foam (2 pieces) marked but couldn't see the line so I held each one and cut around it with the small blade. Found out that neither rubber cement or low VOC contact cement would stick, but the good old fashioned (highly flammable) stuff did. Set in and dug more until the cover just had a little resistance. Beveled the top. Then went outside and glued the bottom layer in and the then the top layer. But I am done and the collection looks good;

34693239130_4ee6f30013_o.jpg

The foam is good and cuts clean. Their markers ain't worth crap, but their knife is good.

Attached Files:

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Now you can never buy another knife...

I was maybe up for something like this until Mike described the process... no thanks.

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

I personally wouldn't use it for display cases unless I was going to glue a nicer fabric on top. For organizing tools of any sort it is pretty awesome though. You won't do a whole tool chest in a hour. But depending on how anal you are about how well things fit it doesn't take that long.

Took me a little over 3 hours to do that whole tool box. Having a better marking pen and the right glue and a better knife for the double thickness part I could likely cut that down to two and half. I found everything but the remote easy and very satisfying as I went. Bad knife and dealing with two layers at once were both solvable issues for the next time around.

7. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

I thought it worked well. Certainly better than me going at that soft foam with a fillet knife which was what I was thinking and dreading. That thin blade knife turns corners well.

The foam cuts clean and easy and that is the important part. And good old fashioned stinks bad contact cement works great. I'm not worried about the whole thing falling to bits if I mount it vertical on a wall.