1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Kiezan Foam

Discussion in 'DIY Lounge' started by Dustin B, May 28, 2017.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

Tried this stuff out with a toolbox I emptied after building my new work bench with a crap ton of drawers. I've now dedicated it to my RC tools and am really happy with how it turned out. Only the doubled up thickness in the top caused me any real issues to work with. But if I'd asked Fastcap what the right glue to use was and got a better knife for cutting curves the full thickness I'd have no complaints.

f1d7b87493d158357c9cc4670a4f4fca.jpg 84383ea2dc80a3c9eb7b18cb9d50fbdc.jpg 7ba7f9ec26c99d0f88be5c6da000e6e0.jpg d2de56c0c14ccbf2c93b7dc0ed2cd9dd.jpg

2. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Far too OCD for me. :)

3. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

If I needed a traveling tool box that would be a very nice way of setting it up.

4. Rick C

Rick C Member

Nice! Makes my tool layout look pretty sad!

5. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Nice work.

6. Dustin B

It's more this gets hauled around a lot so it keeps everything in place. I am going to buy more for my garage though. Things having a well defined place is too hopefully combat my unbelievably high level of ability to be using a tool, put it down somewhere and then 30 seconds later be swearing, "where the fuck did I put that tool, I just had it."

DYohn likes this.
  7. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

I do that too, leading to owning multiples of certain critical items... I've never been a "things in their places" sort of person.

8. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

In part why I have 3 claw hammers and five utility knives. ;):)

Rick C likes this.
  9. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

I keep most of my stuff (screw drivers, wrenches, drill bits, etc.) in drawers in those multi-drawer tool chests. In or on my workshop desk, I have whatever tools and testers I used to make cables. I keep my power tools on storage racks. System works for me.

10. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Benjamin, I have one word for you: Pegboard!

11. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

As a complete non sequitur Kiezan foam sounds like something my 6S coordinator might spray around the production floor at work. :)

12. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

Nice. I'll look into that. I have the same problem. 3eba159eec4f95de1c9dc2ae6956a814.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

13. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Dustin oughtta start a side business doing this for the terminally unorganized. You can start with me.

14. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Thanks for the tip. Just placed an order for some foam, the marker, the knife and regular and thin blades.

This will be the perfect easy solution for my Italian Stiletto collection - :)

15. Dustin B

Kinda wish I'd ordered the knife and marker too. Might even go for the ironing thing to flatten out the bottoms. The part that sucks for me is although it's a great deal in the US there is no reasonably priced source in Canada. So I can only really get it once a year when my parents are coming back from Arizona in the spring. Unless Lee Valley does a special buy of it again.

The wall mount framing brakets are pretty cool alternative to peg board too.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  16. Mike B

I bought this cool glass top display box from the Case dealer although I had to "improve" it some as the box was made in China unlike the knives. Glued the seams in the wood, secured the glass with silicone and changed out all the hardware (hinges and clasps) and the knives have been sitting on the cheap foam for years. It's not that clean cutting Kiezan foam it's just regular crap grade.

I bought the thin stuff 7/8" and I will double it, one uncut piece topped with another cut clean through, should work great. After I fit it all up I'll glue the 2 together with rubber cement or contact cement if the rubber is not strong enough.

17. Dustin B

They offer white and black. Making one the backer and the other the surround would add a nice touch when you have a knife out of the display.

18. Dustin B

They are really fast to respond to email too. I'd recommend emailing them and asking what glue they recommend for glueing them together. If they say their 2P10 I'll be sad though as that really didn't work well for me.

19. Mike B

One 2 foot x 4 foot is all I need. Black on black. No trades back - :)

20. Mike B

Here's my application.

34828489722_92d347aed1_o.jpg

I watched those videos and thought this stuff will make this job easy. Mark the lines with the long nose marker instead of a pencil (which doesn't work worth a crap I tried it), cut with the mini razor knife and that foam is stiff so it will cut clean and not "push along" like that soft crap in there now. Which is a reason it's been sitting there for years.

Get that sucker done and up on the wall where it belongs - :)