Discussion in 'For Sale/Trade Lounge (members)' started by DYohn, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Active Member War Zone Member

Congrats Joe!

2. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

:tu:

enjoy Joe.

We need pictures & a review.
    gotta tell us about veils being lifted

3. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Congrats Joe, this is a fine gift.

4. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Enjoy Joe!

5. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

Thanks so much David! PM just sent.
    I don't have raffle luck so this is quite a pleasant surprise :2tu:.

6. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

This related thought just popped up so I thought I would share.

About a year ago I was out on my typical weekend bike ride down a 23 mile stretch of bike path. I found a wallet laying along the side of the path. Inside was about $400 in cash. It looked like nothing was missing and probably just fell out of someone's pocket. Out of coincidence, I recognized the person from their ID as someone I had worked with many years prior. There was no contact info but I managed to find them through a search of Facebook. I contacted them and returned the wallet with all of the cash and other contents. Until I contacted them, they didn't even realize that they had lost it.

Flash back to yesterday when I recalled that event while riding across that same stretch of bike path and thought about Karma. It only took a about a year :D

7. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

:2tu:

8. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

nice story. Karma indeed.

enjoy. You're still not off the hook for a review.:D

About to climb abroad my GIANT Defy 105 bike.
    Do 2 laps around~ 20 miles. the pace will be about 17`ish.
    not your usual pace.

9. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Amen, Carl. :)

Joe, be sure to give us all of the facts (as you see them) including the brand and model of your new headphones. Congrats and enjoy!

10. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

Today I'm currently using some Sennheiser HD598s which I felt was as far as I could go without having a headphone amp. This could further corrupt me as I have not owned tube gear nor a headphone amp and it could lead to further exploration.

11. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Congrats, Joe!

12. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

Quick Update:
    The Schiit Lyr arrived perfectly packaged in its original box as though it came directly from the manufacturer. Thanks David!
    The regular pre-outs on my AVR are already occupied with connections to the external amp I am running. I tried the CD/R analog output but then discovered that I would only get output there when playing an analog source which prevents me from using all of my digital sources.
    So at the moment I may be doing a little bit of DAC shopping which I was sort of anticipating in the long run anyways. :)
    I was thinking about the Modi 2 Uber. Any thoughts on that potential choice?

13. DYohn

Modi gets great reviews as one of the best bang for the buck DACs out there. You could try using Y-cables on the AVR RCA outputs for the front left and right channels as a temporary solution.

14. DYohn

Another good choice in the lower price range is the JDS Labs ODAC.

15. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

Just ordered up a Modi 2 Uber :).

I didn't realize that Schiit is literally driving distance away. That's conveniently close. If they ship today I should get it by Monday.

16. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

The DAC arrived today so I've just barely had a chance to start doing some listening after connecting the DAC via USB and the Lyr to the DAC. This post won't be anything more than confirmation that everything is here, working, and I have a pretty big smile on my face :2tu:! Thanks so much David!!!

Fatigue free listening is one quick first impression. I'm afraid of how loud I may be listening.

At the moment I'm listening to the last solo album that Ronnie Montrose recorded before he died - Bearings

More detailed impressions to come later. I guess I should post that in the appropriate section.

17. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Leave your DAC on 24/7. This is according to its designer. I have a Modi 2 Uber too. It and my Vali 2 seem to sound better than my old Lyr & Bifrost Uber.

18. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

Wow that is interesting. I would be interested in the reasoning behind that recommendation. Longevity of the DAC, or some actual performance claim? I have not committed to a home for the setup yet. At least temporarily I have it connected to my computer/media server in my office at home. But I was considering having it connected to a digital out on my AVR which also has access to all of the same media. across the network.

19. DYohn

Mike Moffatt, the designer of all Schiit DACS (and the inventor of the stand-alone DAC as a product) says for best performance toleave them on all the time as the chips used need to attain and remain at thermal equilibrium. This is especially true for their multibit products.

I am happy you like the Lyr. It means more to me that one of our members is getting enjoyment out of it than the few dollars I could have gotten for it on the used market.