jasn's Family Holiday Movie Binge...

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by jasn, Jan 1, 2018.

1. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I first posted this in Mike Kelly's 2017 Movie Award thread but realized it was a bit of a hijack. So here it is all by itself...

Happy New Year y'all. So our holidays are over and my press-credentialed son has come and gone with his cache of movie screeners. Here's what we binged watched (in order) between Xmas and New Years:

Lady Bird: Quirky (of course, it wreaks of it) and quite enjoyable;
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi: In 2D by choice at local theater. An afternoon matinee just as it should be;
    The Post: Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks, plus a gaggle of other good actors understandably signing on to a Spielberg film. What could go wrong...? Oh yeah, Steven's heavy-handed dialog can get in the way sometimes;
    Get Out: My reliance on the media hype for a "Horror Movie made by a Black Director" clouded my desire to see this for months, which in hindsight perfectly fits the narrative of the movie to portray white liberal perceptions of themselves in a mixed cultural society, being one myself. :) But forget all that...it's a good movie and deserves a lot of recognition.
    The Shape of Water: Count me in as a fan of Guillermo del Toro, and this movie continues my admiration of his storytelling and visual artistry. This one is even a bit more light-hearted and fantastical for me, in a Wes Anderson sort of way...;
    Call Me by Your Name: Given my son's sexual orientation, this was the movie he was building our binge-watch up to...if only I liked the movie more. I found it beautifully filmed, in the steamy hillsides of Italy no less, but slow and rather elitist, with some characters meant to be felt sorry for but instead I found to be bits of a shit. Please don't tell me son I wrote this, OK? ;)
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: Actually, my son left this screener for my wife and I as the only one he'd be willing to part with, as he claimed not to like it. I couldn't imagine me not liking a quirky movie with Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson, and Sam Rockwell, so we watched last night before the ball dropped. Very good start, but had to make a final decision to say I did not like it. YRMV

Quite a bit of home theater time invested, but it's been frigid up here on the Cape and few places to go. By the end of all this watching it;s amazing to see how many actors are running from film to film. Out of the 7 movies we watched I swear each one had 3-4 of the same actors from 2-3 other films we watched....and Michael Stuhlbarg is in just about all of them! :)
  2. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks for posting. Most of these are on my to-see list but who knows when I'll get around to them.
    jasn likes this.