I've learned a lot on this site, but man helping others is becoming a bit stressful

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Jay Brown, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I've stuck around this site for a number of years because I've always put trust in many of your comments and suggestions, and the majority have payed off.

However, I'm seeing a lot more of this (disposable tech) mentality where consumers are expecting one thing, receive another, then troll the company as a result of their own ignorance, exchange a product for the same model multiple times in hopes to get a better product, when infact there was nothing wrong with the initial product, and complete laziness and not taking the time to learn about the tech. I'm seeing this daily on some of the forums I frequent, such as AVS and the Nvidia Forums.

This "youtube will solve (validate) my problem" creed is getting out of control. That's not to say there are no problems with many products, and there are some legitimate concerns where a consumer may have to return a truly defective product, but giving a person instructions, a spreadsheet, powerpoint presentation, about a situation that you know can be resolved, and then have your efforts wasted because of impatients and laziness, can really stress a person out. It's in our nature to give a helping hand at times, but as in life, the returns aren't always what we expect.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  2. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Some people just buy the wrong product, or at least one at the very edge of their skills. Despite being very tech-savvy and having a software development background, I have personally done this and found myself needing a lot of help to be successful. When that happens I find myself thinking I can't imagine how the average person does this at all.

Back to you, though. Once you find the ROI is not there--time to take care of numero uno.

3. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Jay, you just described the average self-important consumer, and also why I stopped participating at AVS.

4. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I'm in IT Support myself, so helping others is pretty much part of the job. I tend to encounter the same issues here and there, so the time to troubleshoot is minimized. I guess that aspect of my job naturally bleeds into my personal life, and hobbies, where I want to take the time to help people understand an issue they are dealing with, and try any reach a goal that fits their needs, especially when they are spending their hard-earned money on a CE Product.

Many of us know the tricks of the trade, and sometimes explaining these tricks can be very simple for one, but difficult for others, it's expected. But you'll always run into a stubborn person whom you gave some tips and advice to, and they do their own thing, and end up complaining when their decision doesn't benefit them. Sometimes you just have to make some tea and put your feet up I guess.

"Self-Important Consumer", that pretty much sums up this conversation, lol.

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I know what you're talking about. While I truly try to avoid behaving in the way you're describing, there are also companies that over promise or simply deliver a product that is so lacking in basic features for suitability or very premium products that lack basic quality and functionality of entry level models. I've generally taken the approach of simply returning a product or living with the limitations rather than putting the company on blast on Social Media. Or in some cases I'll contact the company directly. However, in some case I will participate in public flogging of companies when they've really missed the mark or especially when they break explicit promises. If consumers / users don't make their needs known the company can't resolve the problems. As always, tone matters.

Regarding individuals on the other side of the fence who are posting on forums "looking for help" when in reality they just want to create a group whine fest to validate their view... I take David's approach, I just don't participate or offer to help.

Of course its hard for me to participate in AVS / HTF in general. I feel like if I'm going to be putting time into a forum it should obviously be here, not somewhere else.

DYohn likes this.
  6. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Even in the 1970-80's 2-channel days folks quite often hook up one of the two the speakers wrong and complain that it does not right. Just setting up a multi-channel receiver or even a smart TV is lot more involved now than it was 5-6 years ago for average non-technically minded folks. A not so well written owners manual compounds the problem. Manuals written by engineers are the worst, the reverse polish effect! Remember the HP vs TI calculators!

7. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Jay...I work in Social Media customer support for a major telecommunication company in Canada...I completely get it. It's not their fault, it must be fixed immediately, you suck if it's not fixed immediately, you probably suck anyway, and you should fix it anyway, and it's still not their fault. :p

DYohn and Jay Brown like this.