It's time to stop working for other people

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Ron-P, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Over the last couple of months (and with the help of my supportive wife and family), I've decided to quit my full time job, go part time for now, and launch my own company. It's been an extremely busy couple of months but everything is lining up amazingly.

I have, and always have had, a love of the outdoors and landscaping, so; Falcons Landscape and Design is about to go full speed. I already have clients lined up and ready, a stripmall owner that wants to put me under contract and side jobs for tropical layouts. I could not have asked for better support from friends and family getting this going.

As for now, just me, no employees, no overhead other then equipment and I'm just going to focus on softscape and lawncare, no hardscape is planned until I get my General Contractors licence which I will pursue early next year.

Scary and exciting all wrapped up in one package but it's been a dream of mine for decades and I can't keep putting it of so here we go....

FLD.jpg

Barry_NJ and Jay Brown like this.
  2. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Best of luck in your new endeavor . Its great working for yourself.

3. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Good luck to you, Ron.

4. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Wow Ron, brave move. May your business boom! Or is that bloom? ;)

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Wow, good for you! Best of luck.

6. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

Best of luck. Yes it is a brave move. Running your own business is not easy either.

7. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Knock 'em dead. I admire this move so much and wish I could/would do the same. I know a guy who did this with his own HT/Install business. He worked nights and weekends and whatnot for many years and then finally cut the old job loose. Seems to be doing well. Gosh I would love to be my own boss.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  8. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Best wishes Ron.

9. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

18 Years ago a CPA friend "had it up to here"
    Stress, and Diet & life style were eating him up.
    we talked about getting his life back...... he tried
    this & that...but finally, I jokingly said quit, mow lawns.

Well, he still mows lawns, does sprinklers, minor landscape.
    He lost weight. His health improved. Lotsa walking. Lotsa Vit D
    Gotta Divorce. Has lotsa free time in the off season.

He expanded his accounts till about 5 years ago he was creeping back into
    the "stress of the job" & Employees and too many stressful accounts---individualism.

He pared it back. and his life is once again simpler.

So good Luck.

10. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

Best of luck Ron. As long as you are physically fit and be able to do the manual work it should be rewarding. My lawn guy bought the business from whom he was working. It was just him and his wife until a few years ago his bro-in-law is now with him. He does exactly what you are planning to do. During the peak summer he does the smaller residential mowing where he cannot use his riding mower in the morning then does the large mowing in the afternoon - he said it's easier because of the breeze from the moving moving mower.

11. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

My girlfriend's brother owns a landscape business and makes a great living from it.

12. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone. It is a bold, and scary move. Never, ever, would I have dreamed of actually doing this, but I've always had the dream of doing it. Crazy, but I am so ready. I am totally physically fit, love the outdoors, love landscaping, irrigation, yard lighting, etc. I know many of you have seen the pics of my yard over the years.

Sometimes things just happen, and propel you in the direction you've always wanted to go but too afraid to go that direction. The support I've had is beyond amazing, it truly lets me know I am on the right path.

Thanks again all! I'll get back to posting more as things settle in, right now, between a 50 hour work week and getting this going is rough. Only 2 more weeks to go though, the 28th ends my full-time work and I can put so much more focus on my business.

CJ likes this.
  13. Eric

Eric Active Member

Wanna come up to the high desert and recommend some stuff? Not ready to pay for an entire redo....but I do have an empty back yard in desperate need of fixin up. Are you up for design work only?

14. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Congrats Ron and best of luck. I did the work for myself/own a business thing for a few years and it has both upsides and downsides. For me, the cost of health insurance eventually drove me back to regular employment. May your experience be better.

15. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Thanks David. I know its a roller coaster but it's one of those things I've wanted to do for a very, very long time and now seems to be the right time.

Sorry Eric, I'm just going to stay local, Orange County for the most part. To start I'll do everything from basic weekly lawn care to complete yard design. My plan is to land my GC licence early next year and move into hardscape as well. For now though, just softscape, irrigation, lighting and lawn service.

16. Mike B

My landscaper will be here next week. I've got a twelve grand contract going. Probably go to 15 grand with the extras we've been thinking of.

Good luck!

17. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Health INS. is a killer....but with ACA, and Ron just starting out, he'll get it cheap.

18. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Health Insurance is not an issue for us at all.

A good friend of mine has a tropical plant guy in Whittier. His prices are 75% that of Home Depot which are the prices I use to bid my jobs with. Went out to him today. Bought 11 palms for a job here in HB, all 11 cost me $140. One was a 15 gallon Triangle, everything else is 5 gallon size plants. This job I do next week will net me well over 50% profit thanks to this guy. If I can keep doing jobs like this, I'll be stoked.

19. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Well, looks like my company may be short lived...

At the beginning of the year I did some testing for the Huntington Beach Union High School District. They called me a few days ago to come in for a panel interview at a local High School. Two hours after the interview I got a call and was offered the job. It's a full year long job (no summers off) as a grounds keeper, 5 days a week from 5:30am to 2. Full salary and benefits. Had not idea this was coming and had given up on doing any more applying since starting my own company. So, pending the outcome of my background check and paperwork I'll start 12/1. I can't pass up the opportunity to work for a school district....

I should hear by Monday or Tuesday if I get it.

Barry_NJ and CJ like this.
  20. Mike B

Cool.

Yeah, tough to have to work outside all day in Huntington Beach CA with full benes and a pension eh?