Introduction

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by CJ, Feb 17, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Riffing off Barry who posted an introduction even though he's been here for years, I thought it might be nice to make an introduction thread. Even though many of you know me pretty well, I'm sure some don't.

I grew up on a farm in Iowa and went to school at The University of Iowa. I have lived in Omaha for the past 16 years. I'm married and three daughters. In addition to home theater / audio I enjoy photography and collect and use fountain pens for writing.

I was pretty into music and movies even as a kid. In early high school many of my peers were getting rack systems. I bought a mini system primarily because it had "surround" speakers. In college I had a roommate who was really into movies and had a 5.1 Infinity system. My final two years in college I started building out a Paradigm surround system and carried that forward into my first home and eventually added an SVS cylinder sub. When we moved into our first home, I finished my basement myself and added a Sony projector.

Over the years I swapped a lot of gear out and that has remained a fun part of the hobby, just trying new things (particularly on the speaker side). After Paradigm I had Mirage speakers and then Phase Technology. Here I started breaking out my stereo system from my home theater but would eventually recombine them. I ended up with Magnepans, then a single driver speaker from a company called Omega, which appears to be out of business now. All this time I was still using the Phase Techs for home theater. Then I got a pair of Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers. I got rid of the Phase Techs and added a center and surrounds from Gallo and recombined my system.

After a couple years, my projector started to die so I had to buy a 480p DLP projector due to budget constraints. I ended up having rainbow (color separation artifact) issues and not really liking the video side of the system. My kids were also very young at this age and I found I would go weeks without even going down to the home theater. I eventually sold everything and for a little over a year I used the space as a makeshift photography studio.

But the bug bit me again eventually and I bought 70" Sharp TV, a full Klipsch 7 channel setup and a Power Sound Audio sub. A few years later I added a projector back into the mix with a screen that drops down in front of the TV. Finally I wanted to upgrade the audio portion a bit and went with a full compliment of GoldenEar Technology speakers.

I continue to be more of a cinephile than audiophile to be honest, though I appreciate a well setup stereo. I like all kinds of music but really enjoy blues and jazz, especially classic jazz, bebop, and big band/swing. My taste in movies tends towards action/adventure, sci-fi, fantasy, and drama. I am particularly a sucker for time travel movies.

These are the most recent photos of my setup.

IMG_0470.JPG IMG_0475.JPG

Tex Thai likes this.
  2. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Thank You CJ

3. Tex Thai

Tex Thai Member

Well and truly impressed, and awesome theater CJ!!!!!!
    Well Done!!!!
    What is showing tonight and do I need to bring my own popcorn??????
    God Bless,
    Wayne