Interesting semiconductor industry analysis

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by DYohn, Feb 14, 2018 at 1:53 PM.

1. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

I'm not sure if anyone cares, but semi industry trends are indicitive of the economy overall and do show the impact of our HT hobby. The following are a few statements from industry watchdog and analysis group VLSI Research,

2017 was the highest revenue year on record, up 24% from 2016. 2018 is predicted to be another 18% up overall, but slowing by 2019 and perhaps contracting slightly. A general slowing of the industry is predicted because of the US Government ending QE (quantitative easing, a monetary policy that generally stimulates investment.)

Significant semiconductor growth was driven by:
    Rising PC demand
    OLED
    Memory, including SSDs
    Flat panel LCD
    LED lighting technology, especially in Europe
    The IoT (Internet of Things)
    Automotive electronics and autonomous vehicles
    artificial intelligence/machine learning
    cryptocurrency mining (the specialized chips required accounted for just less than $1 billion in 2017, and demand is growing to $400M per quarter)
    eSports and competitive gaming, which require faster computers and game consoles

Segments in decline:
    Tablets and hand held devices
    Photovoltaics
    Smart phones
    Consumer electronics such as audio equipment and kitchen appliances

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 2:02 PM
  2. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member War Zone Member

SSD sizes have increased but slower than I expected after it reached 500Gb, and prices have not come down much either.

MicroSD card prices have increased - I bought a 128Gb Samsung Evo 2 years ago for $18.00 the same is now about $38.00.