I am happy

Discussion in 'Picture Show' started by Jack, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant Top Poster

They will be fine.

Not everyone in the movie theater sits at ear height with the front speakers. ;)

Mike

2. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

But we know that movie audio systems suck. :)

Kidding aside, I have no doubt it will be okay. I have the option of using taller stands but I don't want the botom of my screen to be any higher than 35" .

3. Mike

Watch out, they usually use large horn type speakers. :)

Yours will be fine.

Mike

4. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

FYI, all "control rooms" at professional production studios are EQ'd, sometimes quite heavily, along with multi-track editing, punch-ins, compression, de-essing, time delay, reverb, echo, flanging, auto-tuning, track doubled, synthesized, etc. etc. etc... whatever is necessary to adjust the sound to create what is required for the film/music/dialog/surround effects necessary for the film. The same is absolutely true for music production.

Yes yes yes Larry, I know you've seen and/or read about some tweaky audiophile recording process that uses no such studio techniques. This would be the extremely rare exception and would not be part of any movie you were likely to be able to rent on disc.

5. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

I didn't know, which is why I asked.

6. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Reat assured, I do not think all horn speakers are good, no more than I think all dynamic driver-based speakers are good.

7. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

This is correct. I understand the wants and needs of a home theater system. I also have a low tolerance for distractions. It is hard for me to focus on a movie is something is out of whack. Yes that is my problem and I accept that. For me to be immersed, I need a system that disappears and leaves the essence of the movie to me. My present system of 4 speakers and one sub does just that. I suspect a matching center would help, but is not at this time possible.

8. Jack

Yes not your fault. I have left my phone off for several days now. Every now and then the outside world becomes overwhelming so I move away from distractions. I will turn it on again soon. Probably. :laugh:

9. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Jack:

Did you try the B&W center speaker that is of the same series as your mains? If angled to your ear, its sonics should be pretty darn close to your mains.

Larry

10. Jack

Yes Larry they were the same lineage. But they are ported. The mains are and are not. The upper midrange and tweeter are sealed whilst the bottom two woofers are ported out the front. The mains have no hint of this chestiness I hear with voices like George Clooney or whats his mug in the new batman movies. Dialogue becomes a bit of a challenge sometimes.
    I am not sure what causes this issue, maybe the interaction between the woofers and the cabinets, I just not know. I am sure that well build speakers like Wilson or even open baffle like the maggies or those types never display this tendency. So I think it is speaker construction. It is quite distracting once you notice its there. I have used the center vertically, horizontally, completely aligned with the woofer and tweeter of the mains to no avail. The sound mind you is not horrific, it is just enough of a distraction to ME, that I chose another path. It has cleared things up enough that I can honestly fall completely into a good movie with the two mains and the dipole rears. The sound in my room has never been more natural. Again I understand I am going against the rules, but for me I love it.

11. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Interesting. I imagine they port the center in an attempt to compensate for the reduced cabinet size.

Rest assured that I have no issue with this whatsoever. ;)

12. Mike

Jack,

Im not sure about the other film, but the newer Batman films have a VERY affected voice on Batman. His voice has been processed 12 ways to Sunday.

I actually do an impression of him that tends to make people laugh.

With that film, I believe you were hearing what you were supposed to, and it does sound silly.

Mike

13. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Well isn't that a kick in the behind!

14. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2yv8aT0UFc"]YouTube - The Dark Knight- Joker Interrogation Scene Spoof[/ame]

15. Mike

16. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

Larry - I am probably the THX exception. My M&K's and Rotel amps are THX ultra II certified which I use for both cinema and music which they sound great for both. Reviews often note that the M&K's are the musical exception to THX certified speakers. My only complaint is that they tend to be a bit "Beamy" since in order to be certified for ultra II, they have have specific sound dispersion characteristics. Small foam blocks around the tweeters tend to focus the sound o a specific listening position. Aiming is critical for these guys so M&K used to sell an aiming laser to get the sound right.

17. Ed P

Ed P Member

LarryB, Mike, Saurav - I seem to have discovered both a time warp and teleportation. I could swear I've read this thread in a time long past, in a web place long gone.

Is this what is meant by Deja Video?