Hunkering down

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Mike, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant Top Poster

Getting it pretty bad now. The trees are blowing around like wheat on the prairie,

2. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Well power is gone now and the weather is kicking up really bad right now.

At least they are saying cat 1 when it gets here as opposed to a cat 3 or 4 so that is good.

As I type tyhis t ber wind has picked up a couple times and it really got going . It sounds pretty loud.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

It's getting close, power and cable are intermittent but cell service is still up. Looks like it will be a low cat2 or maybe even a 1 when it goes over us. The Weather Channel is projecting wind speeds of just 70mph when it goes over my zip code.

claud likes this.
  4. Dan Driscoll

Looks like the worst is over for Sarasota. Several of us were outside during the worst and while it was definitely a strong storm, it doesn't seem to have caused any significant damage in my sub-division. We never lost power for more than a few seconds, and we didn't see any flying debris or other indicators of serious damage nearby. Wind was supposed to be about 70mph here, but I doubt it ever got that high in my neighborhood.

Of course, we won't know for sure about any damage until we can inspect the house and neighborhood in daylight tomorrow.

5. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

Lost power overnight. No water right now (and can't even call the water company as no one answers). Downed and bent trees. Branches all over and the lake behind me now is a few feet on my property. Probably up at least 5 feet. The neighbors have a dock and the top of the bench is visible.

6. Dan Driscoll

Good Morning Florida!

I hope everyone came thru the storm without any serious problems. I just came from a walk-around of my house and the immediate area, w/o seeing any serious issues. A newly planted tree came down, some palms lost a couple of fronds and a few flower beds were blown out, but that was it. The retention ponds are fairly high, but still 4-5 feet below the tops of their banks and our street never flooded.

Unfortunately, I know that not everyone was as fortunate. The storm was a lot stronger further south and people in older homes, especially wood framed, and those in areas near the coast or prone to flooding would have had it much worse.

7. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Hope everyone is OK.

8. Max Yokell

No damage at home but no power , some big branches and some fence down at Daycarer but there is power.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  9. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Good to hear you all are well.

10. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I hope nobody has run out of Bourbon or Jerky?:rolleyes:

Mike likes this.
  11. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Now that would be a disaster.

Mike likes this.
  12. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

Phil, Dan, Max good to know you came through all right. Wonder how Chad made out I think he is in Cape Coral - by the maps looks like Naples, Cape Coral got hit harder.

13. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

Thanks - was a rough night wind wise. It partially ripped the locked screen door off (I debated taking them down but was really tired at the end) and it was banging metal to metal all night. I temporarily fixed the latch and started taking down the hurricane shutters. for certain windows I may get the kind that stay on and close. They are not quite as effective but for a hard to get to window over the pool equipment near the back and the partially sheltered areas of the back they would be easier. Some roads are still flooded. We had over 10 inches of rain in 24 hours (and not counting the day before).

14. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

We still haven't heard from Mike, and he is the original poster of this thread. Any one heard from Mike??

Mike and Barry_NJ like this.
  15. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Happy to hear you guys are safe. Waiting to hear from Mike.

16. Max Yokell

I think I saw Mike posting on Facebook earlier today . I believe he said things were ok.

17. Max Yokell

The biggest complaint in our area is no power.

18. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

No work Monday and Tuesday. Monday lost power between 7 am and 7pm. Wind did not really kick in here in South East GA until 7:30 AM and died down around 3 pm. Reading and Sleeping, to the point where I stayed up until 6 this morning and woke up around 10. I drove around the area yesterday around 6:30 pm and it was a different look compared to Matthew last year. Major highways were accessible, and no tree limbs found in the middle of the road. Most stores and restaurants were closed except for a few gas stations here and there. I have a friend living in the Orlando area where she still has no power.

19. Max Yokell

Still no power while it seems like most areas arou d us have power.

20. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant Top Poster

I'm okay. And I didn't run out of bourbon or jerky. :) I did however run out of electricity for four days. It was pretty miserable I must say. Hot humid sticky no Breeze just plain miserable.

We used our hot water judiciously and even this morning it was still what I would call tepid. So we never had any really ice cold showers. There was a lot of debris in our yard that we cleaned up on Monday. Big pile of it out by the street waiting for someone to pick it up now. I had a small leak in the roof but I have patched it and I'm waiting for the next rain to come to see if I patched it successfully.

Being without electricity is no fun but at least we had water the entire time. I know many people that had lost both electricity and water.

We just got our electricity back this evening. We went out for dinner and came back and found the lights on what a nice surprise. I've had a great hot shower and actually watch some mindless television. I can't wait to sleep in my own bed with the air conditioning on. I spent the last four nights on an air mattress in the living room because there's better circulation there.

That's enough hurricanes for me I'm good from now on thank you very much. :)

Max Yokell likes this.